Vegan Cheesecake (version 1)

20090927-img_20851

Cheesecake has always been a weakness of mine. This recipe is called “version 1″ because I guarantee that I will be making many more cheesecakes in the near future.  This version is slightly sweeter and wetter than your typical NY style cheesecake. It is more like a “Washington” cheesecake. When I served it to a group of omnivores and vegans, it received rave reviews. Beware: this cheesecake is so easy and delicious, you may need to make it more often than you think.  In fact, I am pretty convinced I need to make one again right now.

Graham Cracker crust: I was pressed for time and out of graham crackers and used a ready made graham cracker crust by Keebler: called “Ready Crust” for this particular cheesecake- it’s vegan! (But it does include hydrogenated oils) I have  also included two great recipes below for pie crusts as well.. or bake without in greased 9″ pie pan.

• 1 1/2 cups finely ground vegan graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tbsp cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons melted Earth Balance margarine

Mix all ingredients until well blended.  Press into spring-form or 9 “pie pan
bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes.

Pastry Style Crust:

• 1/3 cup Earth Balance margarine
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

Mix all ingredients together by hand until crumbly.  Press evenly into spring-form or 9″ pie pan.  Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes.

Vegan Cheesecake  Filling:

• 3 tubs Better than Cream Cheese
  • 1 block of extra firm silken tofu- very well drained
  • 1 1/2 cups Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 tbsp Lemon juice
  • 6 tbsp Flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth. Pour into baked pie shell. The batter should be thick like custard.

Bake for 1 hour.  Once timer has sounded, turn oven off and leave cheesecake in oven for another hour.  Chill overnight, or at least 6 hours, and serve plain or top with favorite topping.

20090926-img_20291

11 Responses to Vegan Cheesecake (version 1)

1. Samantha says:

Hi Allyson!

This cheesecake looks delicious, I am going to make it for a group of carnivores tomorrow night! I’m just wondering, the picture at the top of the page – is that blackberries?! Looks amazing!

Thanks!
    Sam

• admin says:

Hey Sam!

Awesome to hear. Yes, the topping on that photo is blackberries. Basically I just simmered about 2-3 cups blackberries with 1/2 cup sugar (any kind should work well) until gelled (smashing down halfway through), about 15 minutes or so on medium-low heat. Super easy topping!

I hope your company enjoys!

2. CHRIS says:

I would like to make this gluten free as well. Would I need to sub gluten free flour or could I just delete the flour and use some xanthan gum to firm it up?

Hey Chris…. yes! go ahead and sub out a few tablespoons gf flour (I’d say something like sorghum or finely ground brown rice over starches), and leave out the xanthan gum. The flour is more for thickening than anything. :)

3. Nome says:

This looks amazing, I can’t wait to try making it! Nowhere near me sells extra firm tofu, only firm. How would I prevent it from being soggy or mushy? Should I up the flour?

4. Eve says:

I just found your blog through MoFo, and your photos are gorgeous! I think that might be the most perfect slice of cheesecake ever made. Maybe? Mmm, cheesecake…. :)

Eve, I love you. :D Can I say that? That is definitely the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my cheesecake! Thank you so much… your blog is awesome too! How fun that there is two of you!! Way to veganmofo!! :)

5. I love to make vegan cheesecake, it is SO easy, always delicious and it never fails to shock omnivores, they just can’t believe that you can make vegan cheesecake.

Your blog is STUNNING, where has it been my whole life? I love it!

You are so awesome! Thank you!!!!!!!! Totally agree on the cheesecake thing- someone once told me my cheesecake needed just a tad more sugar, and it would be perfect. He had no clue it was vegan! THAT is a good feeling. :) Thank you again– you just made my day!

6. Lindsay says:

yum. i have been dying to make some vegan cheesecake