Hummus Pizza with Roasted Peppers

hummus pizza

If you love hummus and have never had the pleasure of using it as a base for your pizza, I highly recommend trying it out.  It works especially well with roasted peppers and an abundance of ingredients.  I decided to roast my own peppers and make my own crust, so I opted for the deli-bought hummus -high in cumin content.  The more flavorful the hummus the yummier the pizza.  The crust recipe below compliments the hummus quite nicely.  But feel free to save lots of time by purchasing crust, hummus, and roasted peppers in lieu of making your own.  I am happy to say that this pizza was a sensation last night for dinner.

I topped mine with two oven-roasted yellow and red peppers, which is so incredibly easy I did  it while the dough was rising and while I sautéed my mushrooms.

To Oven Roast Peppers:

Preheat your oven to broil.  Place peppers on cookie sheet and place cookie sheet on second highest rack in oven.  Let broil until top of pepper is black.  Turn and repeat with all sides.  I imagine this entire process took about 30-40 minutes, but please just keep checking  and turning them. You will want the entire pepper to be black so you can peel back the burnt skin to reveal its roasted goodness inside.  Discard tops of peppers and de-seed.  Once cooled, peel off blackened skin.  See how pretty?  It makes your kitchen smell amazing too.

roasted red pepper

In addition to roasted peppers and sautéed mixed mushrooms, I added artichoke hearts, thinly sliced yellow tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, fresh basil, and black olives.  I really wanted to use kalamata olives instead of black, but it dishearteningly did not work out that way.

To make pizza you will need:

• flour
  • water
  • salt
  • olive oil
  • yeast
  • sugar
  • cornmeal- optional
  • hummus
  • roasted red peppers
  • other toppings of choice

To Make Crust:

• 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour… and extra for correct consistency and rolling
  • 2 tbsp olive oil and extra for brushing onto crust

Proof first by mixing together yeast, sugar and water in large mixing bowl and let rest about 10 minutes, or until foamy.  Add salt, and gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour until dough is manageable with hands.

Roll out onto very well floured surface, and knead in flour as necessary so that dough is still soft but does not stick at all to your hands.
Roll dough into ball and place into oiled bowl in warm area.  Let rise until doubled in size- about an hour.

Once doubled, punch down and roll back into small ball.  On well floured surface, roll pizza dough out into desired pizza shape and size.  If dough becomes sticky, incorporate a little more flour and roll out again, flipping over dough to prevent sticking.

Sprinkle lightly oiled cookie sheet or pizza stone with 2 tbsp corn meal.  Place dough on top of cookie sheet or  stone.  I stretched mine to fit pan size and folded over edges to make a thicker crust on the outside.  Using a fork, pierce holes into bottom of crust.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and let crust rest about 15 minutes.

If using cookie sheet bake pizza crust in preheated oven for 5 minutes before adding toppings.  If using a stone, top as usual and then bake.

pizza crust

Top Pizza:

Spread hummus evenly on pizza crust as you would do with sauce. ( I needed 1 1/2 cups to thinly cover one 14″ round pizza).  Top with remainder of toppings, brush oil on edges of crust and sprinkle with salt, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.  I removed my pizza from the oven at 20 minutes, brushed crust again with olive oil, and returned to oven for an additional 5 minutes.  The crust was extra crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.

hummus pizza vegan

19 Responses to Hummus Pizza with Roasted Peppers

1. Mihl says:

In fact I have never used hummus as a base for pizza. But I will try this soon, it sounds and looks divine!

2. Lindsay says:

I love hummus pizza- that one looks amazing

3. What a delicious idea! I often dip my pizza in hummus so I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this before. And YUM roasted peppers, one of my favorite things.

4. Mo says:

ZOMG! That looks SO darn good!

5. kelly g. says:

Yes! I’m in a middle of a hummus kick and was just thinking “hummus pizza” the other day. This looks so delish!

6. [...] n Hummus Pizza with Roasted Peppers | Manifest Vegan [...]

7. kim g. says:

I have to admit that I’m not a red pepper or olive fan, but this pizza looks so beautiful and amazing that it totally caught my eye!

8. KD says:

Yum! I’m coming to your house – better yet, can you come live at mine? Your recipes are so drool-worthy :D

9. allyson says:

You all are too nice- Its all those colorful ingredients that make the pizza so pretty. Aren’t vegans so lucky?!

KD: I would love to come live with you… how well do you deal with cats, dogs, kids, a husband and goldfish? ;)
    Really, thank you so much… I’m very honored to know someone is drooling over my recipes!!

10. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by glueandglitter: Goodness gracious-HUMMUS PIZZA! http://tinyurl.com/ykmdeku #veganmofo (vi @ManifestVegan) My pizzas never come out so beautifully!…

11. Jess says:

I made this pizza last night. Amazing! The dough required a lot more flour than the recipe called for…so I had A LOT of dough-but who cares, because it was to die for. I will be making it again and passing this website/recipe along to friends and family!

Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

12. Kylie Hayward says:

Wow! I made this tonight and it was terrific. Never considered hummus as a base but it was perfect. I may not go back to tomato! Thanks

13. [...] I stuck the garlic bulb wrapped in foil and the red pepper (not wrapped in anything) together on a baking sheet and broiled until the red pepper was fully blackened, turning the pepper as necessary. This post includes a quick rundown of how to roast a pepper if you’re not quite sure. [...]

14. Vee says:

I finally made this today after falling in love with it on your blog WEEKS ago. My friends were doing a Pizza Hut/X-factor night so I did my own on a homemade crust in the oven. It was sooo yummy!!! I used caramalised onion houmous, cos that’s what I had. My only regret was not being able to take a picture to blog it! Thanks for the inspiration.

15. Abigail says:

This looks great! What flour did you use for the dough?

thanks Abigail! I just used regular ol’ all purpose flour with this one … just updated the recipe to note that- that was quite a while back! ;)

16. Nathalie says:

Hi! Just came across your blog thanks to Angela (Oh She Glows) and you had me at “Hummus Pizza” Can’t wait to try this!