Forbidden Rice Salad

forbidden rice salad

Forbidden rice is so wonderfully amazing.  With its chewy texture and deep purple hue, it is as striking as it is tasty.

If you have not yet experienced the taste/texture/greatness of Forbidden rice, it’s worth tracking down.  It is, without a doubt, the best rice I have ever enjoyed… and it’s practically black.  Very cool.

Forbidden Rice Salad

• 2 cups Forbidden rice
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tbsp agave
  • 1/4 cup Olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
  • 2 tbsp flax seeds
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cups Crimini mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 medium sized carrots, grated
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2/3 cup fresh red currants (if available, or substitute small sour grapes, blueberries, or something similar)

Cook rice according to package directions.

While rice is cooking, cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in about 1/4 cup water over medium heat until onions are translucent and all water has evaporated.  Salt mushrooms, garlic and onions to taste.  Set aside.

When rice is finished cooking, remove from heat and place in large bowl.  Stir in vinegar, salt, agave and olive oil.  Let stand about 10 minutes.  Stir mushrooms, onions and garlic into the rice.  Cover and chill in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.

When rice/mushroom/onion mixture is finished chilling, add in flax seeds.  Gently toss in chopped celery, grated carrots and currants.  Chill for at least two hours and serve cold.  Garnish with freshly grated carrots and a few more red currants.

share this recipe...Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someoneShare on TumblrPrint this pageShare on Reddit

15 Responses to Forbidden Rice Salad

1. cheryl says:

Looks delish! I’m curious why it is called Forbidden Rice?

Cheryl

• Tom says:

One theory as to the name is that it was reserved for emperors in ancient China because of its nutritiousness and rarity. Another theory is that when the Greeks took over parts of the Middle East, they had it banned due to the belief that it was being used by their enemies to aid them in battle. However, the most likely theory is that the name is simply a marketing ploy.

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_rice)

2. Wow! I’ve never even heard of forbidden rice, it sounds amazing. What a gorgeous photo, you managed to capture the color and the texture perfectly. And now I’m so hungry…

3. Mom says:

Forbidden Rice looks yummy, tastes, yummy but I can’t handle the purple-teeth aftermath . . . . . . .

4. Nora says:

forbidden rice is so mysterious and prettyyyyy

5. Mary says:

Purple foods are my favorite :)

This salad looks and sounds so healthy and satisfying. Great photo!

6. Becky says:

That looks delicious! Nice use of fresh currants!

7. Vegan Fox says:

Wow, I’m visiting your blog for the first time and everything I’ve seen so far looks delicious!

Well thank you so much— I am so happy you found it!
      I can’t wait to dig through your blog… it looks awesome! :D

8. Vegyogini says:

So, I’ve basically been starring every single one of your recipes in my Google Reader! You rock!

9. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Allyson Kramer and Christy Morgan, Vegan Backpacker. Vegan Backpacker said: Looks so good!! RT: #vegan forbidden rice salad. http://tinyurl.com/yfz8g3y @ManifestVegan [...]

10. Jennifer says:

This dish looks so beautiful. Thank you for introducing me to forbidden rice!! :)

You’re welcome Jennifer! I’m surprised you were in the dark.. it’s incredible!