Cheezy Polenta with Sun Dried Tomatoes

cheezy polenta with sundried tomatoes

Here’s a super easy and delicious way to use up that bag of cornmeal in your cabinet.  It’s fun (and economical) to make your own polenta, and you can add all sorts of mix-ins.  I just added the basics for a rich flavor, but feel free to mix in a medley of stuff at the beginning of cooking (sauteed veggies, peppers, herbs, Tabasco sauce, tempeh… you name it).

Looks, feels, and jiggles just like the stuff in the tube-bag from the grocery store.

Cheezy Polenta with Sundried Tomatoes

serves about 8

polenta

• 2 cups corn meal
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cubes of vegetable bouillon (or sub out half of the water for veggie broth)
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

cheezy sauce

• 1 cup of cashews, soaked for about 1 hour
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp salt

You will also need 3 oz. of sun dried tomatoes.  Mine were dried and in a bag, so I needed to soak them for about 20 minutes.

To make Polenta:

Using about 2 tbsp olive oil, grease the sides of a 9″ x 13″ pan.  Set aside.

In large pot, bring 6 cups water, vegetable bouillon, and crushed garlic to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and add cornmeal.

Using a large spoon, stir the mixture often while it cooks on low.   Scrape the sides of the pot to prevent sticking.  Continue to stir frequently for 30 minutes.  It’s okay to do another task while it cooks (I did my dishes), just make sure you are stirring frequently enough to prevent sticking to the pot.

Once it reaches a thick consistency (and it has been about 30 minutes),  spread into your prepared pan.

Let sit for about 15 minutes to cool.

polenta

In the meantime, make your cheezy sauce.

To make Cheezy Sauce:

Making sure your cashews have soaked, combine all ingredients for cheezy sauce in food processor and blend until smooth.  If you forgot to soak your cashews, do it now!  Just stick your pan of polenta in the fridge while you wait.

cheeze sauce

Now, sauté your sun dried tomatoes in a little oil or margarine just until soft. If they are the kind in a jar, they may be soft enough to enjoy already.

To assemble, simply spread the cheezy sauce on top of the firm polenta and garnish with sun dried tomatoes.  Store in fridge (the colder it gets, the firmer it becomes), and warm up in oven preheated at 350 degrees about 15 minutes or until hot.

cheezy polenta with sundried tomatoes

share this recipe...Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someoneShare on TumblrPrint this pageShare on Reddit

21 Responses to Cheezy Polenta with Sun Dried Tomatoes

1. Christine says:

Hi Allyson, I just made your dish this morning and absolutely lied every bite! What an awesome delish comfort food! This will be a regular for me thank you!

2. Caitlin says:

this was really good! i added broccoli and a dusting of nutritional yeast on top, and after i heated it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, i changed the oven to broil for 2 minutes just to make it a little crispy on top!

3. Rita says:

Hi, I am looking for more vegan dishes that my husband (who is a meat-eater) would enjoy. However, he has issues with tomatoes. What would be a good substitute for the sun-dried tomatoes in this recipe? What about sauteed mushrooms? Which veggies would still go well with the cheezy sauce?

Hey Rita,

Yes… sauteed mushrooms would be fab! Or pretty much anything you can think of would be nice topping… steamed broccoli, roasted red peppers..etc. This recipe is pretty darn basic, so feel free to add your favorite ingredients on top. :) It would also be pretty good without anything in addition to the “cheezy” sauce.

Thanks so much for the comment!
      ~ Allyson

4. [...] Cheezy Polenta with Sundried Tomatoes Cumin Herb Rice [...]

5. Xiaolu says:

I love polenta and sun-dried tomatoes separately, so this is really a win-win combination for me. Looks very delicious!

6. Sarah says:

This looks so good! I love that it has all the flavours that are reminiscent of pizza (which I miss big time!). Bookmarking this one to try. x

Oh, pizza! Now, that is a great idea… :) I bet the polenta would make a great crust substitute… It wouldn’t be pizza per se- but I bet it would be very tasty!

7. Mihl says:

I do not need to use up any cornmeal, but now I definitely need to buy some. This sounds like a fantastic recipe.

8. Lisa says:

Hi Allyson – This looks great! (although no surprises there, everything you make is great!) I had never thought of putting cashews in a cheezy sauce..do you think your cheezey sauce would work baked on top of a lasagne? I have been searching far and wide to find “the perfect” creamy sauce to put on top of lasagne (I must admit, I miss that creamy cheesey texture..). Thanks! Lisa :)

Hi Lisa!

Thank you so so much! This sauce is really good on lasagne.. kinda firms up upon baking.
      I love cashews… I use them for so many sauces, and have yet to be disappointed! Hope this helps out your craving a bit… not sure if it’s perfect- but maybe a start? :)
      ~ Allyson

• Lisa says:

Thanks very much Allyson! I’ll definitely try it out; it sounds like the perfect thing to satisfy my cheesey cravings. I love your idea of soaking cashews..after making your Cashew Chocolate Ice Cream Pie I fell in love with the cashew layer and have been making it alone ever since. I add a little extra vanilla and soy milk and omit the lemon juice, and freeze it by itself on a crumb base to make a sort of vanilla cheesecake, and it’s lovely! I must admit that I make this very regularly! (But my justification for this is that cashews are nutritious!) Even non-vegans have been amazed by it!! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Lisa :)

9. Ricki says:

Hi Allyson,
    Just wanted to tell you I tagged you with an award/meme. I know life is hectic, so please don’t feel obliged to participate! But you should know that your blog is one that makes me happy. :)
    Ricki

Thank you so much Ricki!! I am super flattered- as your blog is wonderful- and truly inspiring!! You’re awesome :)

10. THANK YOU! Literally, just last night I looked at a bag of polenta I had and shrugged, I had no clue what do do with it. Luckily I LOVE sundried tomatoes and cheezy sauce. Now I know how it’s going to get used. Thanks so much!

My pleasure!! Sun dried tomatoes and cheezy sauce are amazing even without the polenta… ;)

11. Katrina says:

Yum! This looks like an amazing treat, and I DO need to use up some cornmeal! Thanks!

12. Becky says:

Oh yum! It’s been so long since I’ve made polenta…what a simple, lovely recipe for it!

PS – I like your rectangular Pyrex pan….is that one with a lid? I’m obsessed with stove to table to fridge cookware lately!

Thank you Becky!
      No lid on my pyrex.. :( but now that you mentioned it, that would be a fabulous feature! I wish everything could be done in one dish like that… especially if it can travel too! :)

13. Amanda says:

This looks so rich and savory. I really need to try my skills at polenta, seems like an easy and delicious meal choice.

14. KarmaLily says:

That looks delicious! I bought a bag of polenta a couple months ago because it’s relatively healthy, but I’m not really a fan of cooking and eating it soft. I’ll be trying this recipe soon. :)