Pumpkin Alfredo

Out of my crazy cat lady-like obsession with pumpkin (and, who am I kidding? all things orange) during the Autumn months, came this gem of a simple dinner. This pasta/pumpkin combo may not sound too appealing for some folks , but each and every person I served this stuff to absolutely loved it.

Pumpkin. Alfredo.

It is utterly delicious.

• 1 package of your favorite pasta, 12-16 oz. (I highly recommend Tinkyada brand for Gluten Free)

sauce ingredients:

• 1 package (12 oz.) extra firm silken tofu
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • olive oil and sea salt to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions.

While pasta is cooking, combine all sauce ingredients together in a food processor. Blend until smooth.

When pasta is finished cooking, drain, rinse and return to pot. Toss in a light amount of olive oil to evenly coat the noodles. Salt lightly if desired.

Combine the sauce with the pasta until the desired pasta/sauce ratio is reached. This recipe makes enough to generously coat 14 oz. box or bag of dried pasta.

Awesome with pecans mixed in!

Share with friends!

89 Responses to Pumpkin Alfredo

1. Kylie says:

I know it’s summertime, but I need to make this now! It looks amazing!

2. Becca_K says:

I made this last night and it was amazing! It was cheap to make, fed a lot of people and left overs today were just as good. I’ve been vegan for about 2 months now – going from a very heavy meat diet. Your recipes have helped me through the transitions very nicely.

Aw, that’s wonderful Becca! Thank you for letting me know this. :)

Best wishes on your culinary journey!

<3 allyson

3. Eileen says:

Made this tonight! It turned out well. The olive oil for taste is essential. I tried it before the final salt and olive oil, and boy does it bring the alfredo flavor out doing so. I like that it’s mostly alfredo flavored with a subtle hint of pumpkin. A fun recipe. Thank you!

4. Marain says:

Just wondering how you think this recipe would taste without the tofu. I cannot eat soy.

I think it will be less creamy, but maybe not too bad tastewise–are you okay with eating cashews? if so, I’d recommend replacing the amount of tofu with the same amount of raw cashews, soaked for an hour or two and then blended until creamy. :)

5. Finn says:

Hey, quick question- Would it do any harm to heat the sauce up, and if not, how would you go about it? I’m just wondering because I’m sort of new to this, so I haven’t worked with most of these ingredients before.

Hi Finn! It would be totally fine to heat it up. I’d recommend a small saucepan, over medium-low heat and maybe keep a tablespoon of non-dairy milk (or even water) nearby for thinning if necessary. A whisk is handy too to keep the sauce from getting lumpy. :)

6. RockStar says:

Hi! I made this tonight for my sister and my nephew
    And they loved it! I loved it too! We were just wondering
    what the purpose of the yeast was for. Is it too make the
    Sauce thicker? I was also amazed by how fast it was ready, I thought
    “did I miss a step?” Haha. Thanks for this simple yet amazing dish!

Hey Rockstar,

The purpose of the yeast is just to add a cheesey flavor, but it does also affect the texture a bit. :) Glad you enjoyed it!

7. Charissa says:

ohmygosh! This is soooooo good. I finally got around to making it and absolutely loved it. I did use the cashew cream instead of the tofu (since I’m sort of new to tofu and have been finding tofu dishes hit or miss). Plus, my 8 year old daughter, who likes pumpkin pie loved it too! Would love to add a link on my website to your recipe if you don’t mind. Thanks for posting such a clever dish!