Pumpkin, Black Walnut & Apple Muffins

These muffins encapsulate some of my favorite flavors of the fall season: pumpkin, apple, and the deliciously rich black walnut.  They are flavorful, moist, and oh so pumpkin-y.

Enjoy with a steamy pumpkin latte and soak in that Autumn feelin’.

Pumpkin, Black Walnut & Apple Muffins ~ Vegan and Gluten Free

• 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 cup apples, chopped very small
  • 1/2 cup black walnuts – chopped into small pieces

Topping:

• 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
  • 4 tbsp sorghum flour
  • dash or two of pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tbsp vegan margarine

Prepare 12 standard sized muffin cups by lining with paper liners or by lightly greasing. Preheat oven to 350 °F.

In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, prepared flaxseed meal, canned pumpkin, and olive oil until well combined.

In separate bowl, mix together sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch and xanthan gum. Add flours into wet ingredients until a thick batter forms. Fold in chopped apples and walnuts.

Drop about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup.

In small bowl, combine all ingredients for topping with either or fork, or with your hands until crumbles form. Lightly sprinkle crumble topping over muffins until all is used up.

Bake muffins in preheated oven about 35 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

Serve warm (so yummy) or at room temp. Store in lightly covered container.

Share with friends!

18 Responses to Pumpkin, Black Walnut & Apple Muffins

1. JM says:

I noticed that you use the ground flaxseeds with water in many recipes. Is the purpose for texture, flavor, or health?

Hi JM,

I really prefer to use flaxseed or a “flaxegg” as an egg replacer over most other methods in most baked goods – vinegar is a very close second for me- especially in cakes.

… in almost all of the recipes I create, the flax is barely noticeable in taste/texture… but it binds goods together quite well. :)

2. Mo says:

These sound fantastic!

3. Wow these muffins looks so soft and moist, just delicious. I often combine apples and pumpkin too, it’s such a great combination. Love all of the spices and walnuts too.

4. […] Manifest Vegan’s Pumpkin Black Walnut Muffins: Allyson not only has a cool name, she shares awesome recipes too! Take, for example, these Pumpkin Black Walnut Muffins. It’s hard to imagine my weekend without these. I think you’ll agree! […]

5. These look great. I’ve never had or even seen black walnuts, but I’ll keep my eyes open for them. Nice job and thank you so much for sharing!

6. Morgan says:

I should not have looked at this while sstarving! Now I wont be able to find something as yummy to eat…

… sorry <3 and thank you, Morgan…
      I'm SURE you can whip up something extra tasty with very little effort, though ;)

7. These are completely gorgeous! I am always so intrigued and impressed by your use of ingredients…love that these have olive oil in them!

8. Katrina says:

I love the pumpkin-apple combo. My two fav muffins together at last!

9. wow those muffins look great! apples, pumpkin and walnuts = YUM!! Can I have one please :)

10. Marly says:

Hi Allyson
    What a great site! I love the colors. And I’m so thrilled to find these recipes. They look delicious!

11. Mihl says:

I never heard about black walnuts before. Do they taste very different from the regular ones? These muffins look so good. Great flavour combination.

Hi Mihl!
      They are a little smokier in flavor… or at least, that’s the best way I can describe them. They almost (to me) don’t taste much like walnuts at all, but they are pretty identical in texture… maybe a touch softer?

I am not the biggest fan of regular walnuts, but I LOVE black walnuts. But, they do have one heck of a strong flavor! So, its best to use sparingly in baked goods :)
      Thanks so much for the sweet compliment too!!