Lazy Day with a VeganMoFo Survey

My girl, Dot, and her gorilla friend

I don’t know how I would make it through an entire VeganMoFo without having a survey or two to bail me out on my days when I can’t properly blog. Keri from “I Eat Trees” posted this little gem the other day, so I jumped on the chance to use up one of my “lazy cards”.

I know it’s only the fourth day.

Also, thanks so much to everyone who left a comment for the free pint of Luna and Larry’s! I promise to whoever wins: your tummy will be very happy! Contest is still open ’til this Friday at Midnight…

Now, onto the random questions:

What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?

Milk Chocolate… now I love the dark stuff!

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?

Cooked Onions (but they have to be REALLY cooked).

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?

Oh geez, here it comes- I really really don’t like tofu scramble. There, I said it. I told my husband this recently and I think his respect for me dropped down a notch :\

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?

Black Coffee. Oh wow… that’s sad.

What dish are you “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?

Any type of cake. I’m the designated gluten free vegan cake person.

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?

I find marinated artichoke hearts to be inedible and terrifying… does that count? I guess the rule would be “no marinated artichokes allowed in my kitchen. ever.”

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?

Potato Chips- I can easily kill an entire “family sized” bag by myself in one sitting.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?

GF flour blends.

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?

Coffee and Red Wine.

Are you much of a snacker?  What are your favorite snacks?

I am definitely a big snacker. Favorites are almonds, tomatoes with black pepper, chocolate chips, avocados, potato chips, Medjool Dates, and veggies and hummus.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?

Artichoke hearts (not marinated!) , spinach, green olives, banana peppers, mushrooms and Daiya.

What is your favorite vegetable?  Fruit?

Veggie: Kale

Fruit: Avocado

What is the best salad dressing?

Avocado, lemon juice, salt and olive oil blended up until creamy… it’s like guac dressing. YUM.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?

Freshly sliced garden tomato, black pepper, salt and Vegenaise- with another slice of toast on top to make a sammich.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?

Spicy Cabbage Soup.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?

Love me some white cake with buttercream.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?

Oh man, all of them- but I particularly love this one type of cookie I make using almond paste. So. Good.

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?

Lately its been a toss up between my pumpkin alfredo and sushi…  always easy, and everybody walks away full and happy.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?

Lentils. Actually the kids love them, it’s my husband who hates them- we all pretty much agree on everything else.

How long, in total,  do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?

about 4 hours… at least!

Feel  free to leave your own answers to any/all of these questions in the comments section if you’d like … or a link to your blog where you answered them. That would be kinda like a “getting to know you”, right?  And I always love to get to know my readers better. ♥

Share with friends!

23 Responses to Lazy Day with a VeganMoFo Survey

1. kim g. says:

That picture of Dot is so adorable, and it’s killing me because our dog, Omar, has a gorilla friend too! http://www.cestlavegan.com/2010/10/halloween-omar/

2. Leinana says:

Dot is so pretty! And your pumpkin alfredo is one of my favorite weeknight meals too! :)

3. Mo says:

Dot is adorable!!!

4. Natasha says:

Since you are a big lover of Kale (As am I!) I was wondering if you had a Kale Chip recipe.

Hey Natasha!

I don’t have a recipe, exactly…. I usually rinse, and dry the kale – salad spun, if you will… and then lightly spray some olive oil mixed with a touch of vinegar on them. (see below) . Tear into pieces… about the size of tortilla chips.

You could probably lightly brush the olive oil vinegar mixture on the kale too before tearing into pieces. Or ever so carefully toss it all together in a bowl. Sprinkle a little sea salt on them, and roast until crunchy at 400 degrees F… about 10-15 minutes…

The key is to make sure your kale doesn’t have any extra water, or it tends to get all soggy, rather than nice and crispy. Nothing fancy, I know… but that’s how I like to do it when not eating kale raw. :) I should really consider doing a post of a more fun variety of kale chip… it is super photogenic!

approximate measurements:
      1 bunch of kale (10-12 leaves), any variety
      about 1-2 tbsp olive oil
      1/2 tsp vinegar
      sea salt to lightly cover

~ <3 Allyson

5. Morgan says:

FUn to read your survey! Ok, I love avocadoes too! And chocolate chips as a snack ! haha. So much in common!

6. Katrina says:

This was really interesting to read. Thanks!

7. kittee says:

jessy from happyveganface made a great xgfx post today! we three should do something crazy awesome and xgfx for mofo.

xo
    kittee

Heck Yeah we should!! I lurvs me some Happy Vegan Face- and of course I’m a big fan of yours too <3 Wonder how crazy/awesome we could get?!? I’m betting pretty damned awesome…

8. Kim says:

My husband hates lentils too, says they taste like dirt. I love them and could eat lentils and rice with caramelized onions on top for lunch every day (at least for a while). I love lentil loaves but just don’t make lentils for dinner since he will go get pizza instead.

9. Oscar says:

Wow! Four hours a day cooking!!! Awesome!!!

Well, Oscar, thank you! I think its pretty awesome myself… but unfortunately at least 1 of those 4 hours is doing dishes and cleaning up ;) Lots of meals to make and lots of messes to conquer.

10. Vegyogini says:

I can take or leave tofu scramble, but the one vegan thing I “should” like according to the vegan police, but definitely do not like is avocado! Considering that it graces many of your answers, I know you don’t feel the same. ;)

haha… Yeah, avocado is my #1 answer to: “if you could bring 3 foods on a deserted island… what would they be?” My sister loathes avocados too… so I completely understand :)

11. Dianne says:

I just did this survey on my blog too! I can’t believe you don’t like marinated artichoke hearts, I could eat a whole jar! Isn’t it funny what different tastes people have…

Awesome.. I’m gonna hop on over there and check yours out! That is so funny about loving marinated artichokes… I don’t know what it is about them, but they and I are not friends. :)

12. I’m detecting a mild distaste for marinated artichoke hearts… :D I should have considered how hungry reading people’s responses would make me, but I do love reading them! And thank you for the link!

thank you for the awesome survey! yeah, now I’m starting to feel sorry for those artichoke hearts… :\ sort of.