Orange Sesame Vermicelli

Orange Sesame Vermicelli

Tomorrow’s the very last day of VeganMofo… can you believe it?!

Sometimes (especially towards the end of the Vegan Month of Food) some of us (eh-em) tend to feel a bit lazy… but still need adequate fuel to get us through that last stretch.  These simple rice noodles do just that- not altogether a complete powerhouse of a meal, but definitely a nice accompaniment to a larger dinner, or alone as a light lunch.

I had them midday today and am using the leftovers to accompany some sort of gingery tofu with a cucumber salad for tonight’s dinner.

Also, I really enjoy how this dish looks… kinda leopard-like, you know?

Orange Sesame Vermicelli ~ Vegan and Gluten Free

makes about 8 servings

• 6.5 oz very thin rice noodles (rice sticks/ rice vermicelli)
  • 1 tsp gluten free tamari or soy sauce (I used light)
  • zest of one orange
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 3 tsp brown rice syrup or agave
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 3 medium carrots, julienned
  • 1-2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp brown rice syrup or agave
  • 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp black roasted sesame seeds

In small bowl combine 1 tsp tamari, orange zest, orange juice, grated ginger, 3 tsp brown rice syrup, cloves, 2 tsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp rice vinegar until well mixed. Stir with julienned carrots in small saucepan and reduce over medium heat until about 1 tbsp of liquid remains.

In the meantime, cook rice noodles as directed on package.

In separate small bowl, mix together 1-2 tbsp tamari, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp brown rice syrup, 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar and 1 tbsp water.

Toss with cooked noodles until thoroughly coated. Add tamari to taste… I used a good bit more in mine to make the vermicelli taste salty enough for my liking  (I have one whopper of a salty liking). I also added a few small squeezes of agave to cinch all the flavors up nicely.

Once carrots have finished cooking, stir in carrots and remaining liquid with rice noodles.

Toss in 3 tbsp black sesame seeds until evenly distributed.

Serve hot or cold.

13 Responses to Orange Sesame Vermicelli

1. Carla says:

HI :) Your page is amazing! I wondered if it is possible to use grain vinegar instead of the rice vinegar? (because we still got grain flavored distilled vinegar at home and I don’t want to spend so much money) And is it possible to use honey instead of the agave syrup? Thank you!!

• admin says:

Hi Carla,

Thanks for such kind words! Yes, both of those subs will work well here. Best wishes!
      xoxo

• Carla says:

Hi!
        You are very welcome! One can really see how much work and heart you put in this site. Thanks! So excited to try it :)

2. Came across your blog while surfing links on Udis’ site.
    I’ve just recently discovered my love for thin rice noodles thanks to vegetable Mei Fun…
    I can’t *wait* to try this dish!

I’ve been looking for some great vegan/vegetarian GF recipes, so I’m thrilled to have found your site. Thanks for sharing!

3. Fiona says:

Dear Sir,
    Have a nice day, my name is Fiona who come from qingdao double dragon industry co.ltd, we can supply different kinds of vermicelli in good quality and best price, should you have any requirements, pls feel free to contact me.
    BR,
    Fiona

4. Fanny says:

It looks really good!

5. Katrina says:

Great recipe! This looks so yummy!

6. Mimi says:

I love the extra chew of Asian noodles, but I never really think to use them…

7. kittee says:

yum! those are some magical stand alone chopsticks, too!
    xo
    kittee

8. Katie says:

Thanks for reminding me to use our vermicelli noodles. I always have them in the pantry but tend to forget about them even though I love them when I do remember.

9. Dianne says:

That looks lovely. I think vermicelli noodles get ignored a lot as a spring roll stuffer, so it’s nice to see them as the star of a dish! You hit the nail on the head about VeMoFo…I am so guilty of end-of-month lazies!

10. Emma says:

Mmmm perfect. I have an unopened pack of vermicelli rice noodles which has been waiting for some inspiration :)