Cheezy Zucchini Muffins

These muffins really hit the spot when you need a quick breakfast or afternoon snack. The texture is moist and slightly crumbly, and the flavor is nice: with notes of cumin, rosemary, thyme, garlic and green onion- which add quite a bit of complexity to such a little muffin.

I really love these slathered with a touch of Earth Balance margarine when they are fresh from the oven.

Cheezy Zucchini Muffins ~ Vegan & Gluten Free

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp cumin (optional)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
  • 1 green onion, sliced into small bits
  • 2 small zucchini, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup cheddar style Daiya vegan cheese, packed
  • 1 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup pretty finely ground yellow corn meal
  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3 tbsp vinegar
  • additional Daiya for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease, and dust with sorghum flour.

Combine olive oil, cumin, garlic, thyme, rosemary, green onion, zucchini and Daiya into mixing bowl. In separate bowl, combine sorghum flour, almond flour, corn meal, potato starch, nutritional yeast, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Mix very well until blended completely.

Gradually stir in the flour mix with the zucchini mixture, adding a touch of almond milk until all flour and milk have been used up. Stir in vinegar one tbsp at a time.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full… you should be able to get 12 muffins from the batter. Sprinkle each muffin with about 1/2 tsp Daiya.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Then again, you may hit a streak of melted Daiya and the knife could come out unclean. I always just assume they are done a little after 21 minutes and then break one in half  just to make sure. Then I eat it.

Happy Weekend!!

share this recipe...Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someoneShare on TumblrPrint this pageShare on Reddit

26 Responses to Cheezy Zucchini Muffins

1. Amber says:

I’m not gluten-free, so could I just substitute wheat flour for the sorghum and almond flours and potato starch? Also, is the xanthan gum really necessary? Thanks. :]

Hi Amber…. not sure of the results but it’s worth a shot. Seems like it would work out well. If you are using gluten flours, no the xanthan is not necessary… but for gluten free, these tend to be more “crumbly” without. :)

2. Gauri Radha गौरी राध says:

Those look terrific for a vegan breakfast pastry. Great photos!!:-)

3. [...] And for something savory- a Cheezy Zucchini Muffin!  [...]

4. Tim says:

I have never been a big fan of zucchini. Do you have any recommendations for alternatives?

5. Diana says:

Very nice Web Love the pic s

6. Alissa says:

Those look SO good! I like the “eat it just to make sure it’s done” method. I’m surprised that there are so many ingredients and flavors for such a small little muffin. They’re a small detail, but the wrappers are also cute :)

7. Culinarian says:

These look absolutely wonderful! Mmmmm, cheese!

8. Daiya Foods says:

Hi Allyson!
    We loved this recipe so much that we featured it on our facebook fan page today: http://www.facebook.com/daiyavegancheese#!/daiyavegancheese.

We hope you continue to cook with Daiya products in the future!

Healthy regards,

Shnane Liem
    Daiya Foods

oh cool! thank you so much :)

I don’t think I’ll be excluding Daiya from my cooking anytime soon; it’s such a wonderful and versatile product! <3

9. Bella says:

These really look great!

10. jessy says:

i don’t recall ever having a savory muffin before, they always have some that are vegan at our local coffee shop, but alas they are not g-f. your cheezy zucchini muffins look rock’n, Allyson – and the combination of herbs is right up my alley. oooooh, yay!

11. Caitlin says:

another goody!

12. These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them!!

13. What a great way to to have a muffin! These are so delicious and addictive! The vegan recipe makes these great for anyone to enjoy. Great post!

14. Paula says:

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

15. T says:

Ooh, love it! Perfect way to have muffins without all the sugar.

16. Katrina says:

Wonderful muffin recipe. Two of these would be lunch!

17. zenobia says:

These look sooo pretty! I love how you use so many different types of flours in each recipe! Where does one get potato starch?

Bob’s Red Mill brand offers a potato starch (usually tucked next to the other gf flour blends), but I actually purchase mine from Asian grocery markets (I have found it to be much cheaper!). It looks and acts very similarly to corn starch… but is not to be confused with potato flour! :)
      ~allyson

18. those look amazing!

19. Cara says:

Those look fabulous! I’m all over this recipe – thanks

20. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Inthemoodfornoodles and Kaia L, Allyson Kramer. Allyson Kramer said: cheezy zucchini muffins : http://tinyurl.com/5wma9x2 #vegan #glutenfree [...]

21. K says:

these look amazing, why can’t we be neighbours? and then i can help taste test all of your goodies.

22. Wendi says:

those look too good. I wish I had one right NOW!

23. Those look phenomenal!