Have you ever tasted a lavender scone?
One of the fondest food memories from my childhood was my first encounter with this fragrant breakfast treat. My mother had brought a box home from work one day–a client of hers had made them for her as a gift. Luckily, she shared them with me. I had never experienced anything like them before and will never forget their wonderfully unique flavor.
I’ve yet to see any lavender scones in the bakeshops around my hometown–especially vegan and gluten free versions. Sigh.
To enjoy such a scone, I must make it myself. But, please don’t get me wrong; I am not complaining. Baking these things in my own oven is pretty much the best type of aroma-therapy a girl can ask for. ♥
Lavender Vanilla Bean Scones ~ Vegan & Gluten Free
- 1 1/4 cups (100 g) sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup (75 g) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (30g) brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp organic granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried lavender buds
- 5 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (the thick part from can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or 1 tsp freshly scraped vanilla beans
- additional sorghum for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Sift together sorghum flour, potato starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and sugar.
- Toss in lavender buds to evenly distribute throughout the flour mixture.
- Cut in margarine using a pastry blender or work quickly with your hands.
- In small bowl, whisk together almond milk, coconut cream and vanilla bean paste.
- Stir milk mixture into flours just until well combined. Your dough will be slightly sticky… dust lightly with about 1-2 tbsp sorghum flour just until workable.
- Chill dough briefly in fridge, about 15 minutes.
- Pat dough into a slab about an inch and a half thick onto parchment lined counter-top.
- Cut dough into desired shapes using a cookie cutter or sharp knife, and place scones onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown.
- Let cool and either eat plain, or drizzle with this simple glaze found here.
Cooking time (duration):30
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6