Raspberry Pecan Tart

Raspberry Pecan Tart

This humble little dessert turned out to be quite a big hit with my family. There’s just something about toasted pecans and tangy raspberry jam that make for a delectable combo. My husband likened it to an extremely delicious (and much more appealing) nutra-grain bar. Yeah, I can get behind that.

It’s easy to toss together, and even easier to eat much more than intended. This is some addictive stuff; serve with caution.

By the way, there are some incredible double milled GF flours available from Authentic Foods. I was first introduced to the ‘superfine brown rice flour’ by the wonderful Julie Hasson (accompanied by raving reviews of the stuff by miss Kittee). But you guys, guess what? The fine folks at Authentic Foods also make a superfine sorghum flour (oh yes, my dreams have come true!)… and it’s the bees knees. For serious. I have been using it in everything lately, and I really enjoyed the results when I used it in this tart. I highly recommend trying it out if you’re up for a superfine splurge. Otherwise, just stick to regular sorghum flour for this recipe–it won’t hurt anything.

Raspberry Pecan Tart ~ Vegan & Gluten Free

• 1 1/2 cups pecans
  • 1 1/2 cups (180g) superfine sorghum flour
  • 1/3 cup (57g) potato starch
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup vegan margarine
  • 1 cup organic granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsb water
  • 1 cup extra good quality raspberry jam
  • additional sorghum flour for rolling, shaping

1. Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lightly grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9″ springform pan.
  2. Lay pecans in an even layer on a cookie sheet so that they do not overlap.
  3. Toast pecans for about 10 minutes, or until fragrant and flavorful. Watch carefully so that they do not burn.
  4. Once toasted, remove from cookie sheet and set aside until cool.
  5. Toss toasted pecans into food processor and pulse until crumbly. Don’t overmix or the nuts will turn into pecan butter… and you don’t want that. Pulse just until all pecans have transformed into small granular pieces.
  6. In small bowl, sift together sorghum flour, potato starch, baking powder, xanthan gum and cinnamon. Stir in pulverized pecans with the flours.
  7. In separate mixing bowl, cream together margarine and sugar until smooth. Fold in prepared flaxseed meal and mix until combined.
  8. Gradually add in flour mixture and feel free to add in up to 1/3 cup additional sorghum flour until the dough can be easily handled.
  9. Shape into two separate disks and chill until cold.
  10. Once well chilled, take one of the disks and place it in between a two large pieces of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll over the top piece of parchment to roll out a thin circle of dough, big enough to cover the bottom of the springform pan with a little extra hanging over.
  11. Transfer the dough to cover the bottom of  prepared springform pan. Scrunch down edges to form a wall around the crust.
  12. Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the layer of crust.
  13. Take the second disk of dough and break into small crumbles. Cover the jam liberally with dough crumbles.
  14. Chill in freezer while you preheat your oven to 350 °F.
  15. Bake about 35 minutes or until crust becomes golden brown.
  16. Let cool, then slice it up and serve!

Diet type: Vegan

Diet (other): Gluten free

29 Responses to Raspberry Pecan Tart

1. Caitlin says:

this is so beautiful<3

do you think it tastes overwhelmingly nutty or do the pecans just give it a nice deep, warm flavor?

2. kittee says:

yes! i bought some of it a few weeks ago and have been loving on it too. it makes everything work!!

xo
    kittee

3. Jes says:

Super fine sorghum flour!?! How amazing! That tart looks **amazing**

4. Nicole says:

This looks gorgeous! Love the crumble topping.

5. Noelle says:

This looks so delicious! I could eat a slice right now!

Here’s the mobius strip question of the day. Am I always hungry when I read your blog or do all the mouth watering recipes and photos MAKE me hungry? I don’t know. I do know that having super fine flours in desserts is amazing. I’ve been blitzing mine in the VitaMix after measuring them out. Of course buying them that way is probably a much more sane option.
    Also, why not double the recipe in a 9 X 12 pan and cut into bars for the hubby and school lunches? Looks like it would work perfectly. Your beautiful blog made my day, as always.

Laurel, does the vita make it superfine?? My hubs has been dying for a good excuse to get one of those things (like I’m really against it ;) but I was wondering how fine it could actually pulverize flour…. :) I like your thinking, that stuff is expensive!

• Laurel says:

Gosh yes. I haven’t tried it in the regular pitcher yet because I have the dry one as well. I made some powdered sugar the other day with a cup of sugar and a Tbsp of arrowroot and pouf, maybe 15 seconds later – done. You can go to VitaMix and get their special deal (I did). It ends up like a dollar a day for a year and you have a TEN year warranty. I love mine to pieces and so does my hubby. The day we got it we looked at each other and kept saying ‘what were we thinking with all those other blenders?’
        Anyway make the hubs feel good and tell him he’s convinced you. :-))

7. Another beautiful, mouth-watering dessert – you’re a rock star! I included your recipe in a gluten-free post: http://www.greenwala.com/profiles/eco-vegan-gal/blog/15576-Wheatless-Wednesday-5-Spring-Time-Recipes

8. laura says:

what a great flavor profile! i bookmarked this with my cookmarked.com account!

9. Lynne says:

yummy! looks fantastic!

10. Jojo says:

Oh my, that looks & sounds delicious.

11. laura says:

Looks awesome! I will bookmark this and give it a try on my next day off :)

One question: what happens to the pecan meal after it goes for a spin in the food processor? do I add it to the dough or sprinkle it on top?

Oh my goodness Laura! Thank you… I left that step out! The pecans are part of the flour mixture, so they get added into the rest of the flours once they’ve been sifted together. Editing now! Thank you :)

12. Ummmm…..so…..yeah….that looks sooo awesome!

13. Barb says:

You can put the regular flour in a blender, food processor, Vita Mix, or clean coffee grinder on the finest setting and save yourself a lot of money!

14. Gauri Radha गौरी राध says:

That looks perfect to have with an afternoon soy latte.

15. Eric Myers says:

This was a particularly delicious treat. I will definitely be saving this recipe! It was as delicious as it was beautiful. I loved the presentation with the pecan on top. Nice touch!

16. My mouth is seriously watering and I cannot wait to try this recipe. Perfectly gluten-free and delicious. Thank you for sharing; so happy to come across your blog; love it!

17. Liz G. says:

What a lovely recipe! I made it last night and thought it was absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to make it for a family gathering. The flavor of the toasted pecans really puts it over the top. I used a tart pan spritzed with cooking spray instead of a springform, and that worked well. I also found it easier to press the dough into the bottom of the pan rather than rolling it out and then trying to transfer it to the pan.

Your family is fortunate to have you cooking for them, Allyson!