If you like basil… and you like coconut, try this ice cream. Since I’m from the sticks, I very rarely get the treat of eating “gourmet” vegan ice cream. So, I realize that this flavor may very well be played out… but this is some tasty stuff!
Yesterday I was thinking how a mango/basil sorbet would be killergood for lunch (yeah, it’s been one of those weeks), and it clicked. Basil ice cream! No frills, just pure and delicious basil-y goodness hyped up with a little coconut milk. Then I googled it and saw that a few other folks had thought of that one already. But, it’s a really good idea! Maybe even classic? I think it’s my new favorite flavor.
Or not. Nothing will replace vanilla bean in this gal’s heart… but a close second? Yeah, I’ll give it that.
This ice cream has just the right amount of oomph from the peppery and minty basil, and a dash of coconut flair to make it shine. Perfected with a drizzle of chocolate on top.
Coconut Basil Ice Cream ~ Vegan & Gluten Free
• 1 cup chopped basil, any variety… I used Thai basil
• 1 cup organic granulated sugar
• 30 ounces (2 cans) full fat coconut milk
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Place chopped basil, sugar and 1 cup coconut milk into 2 quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved completely (no granules floating around, not even one).
2. Let cool just briefly– it shouldn’t be too terribly warm–and transfer to blender. Blend until very smooth.
3. In large bowl, mix with remaining coconut milk using whisk until uniform in texture.
4. Chill mixture until cold, and then process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Once it is finished, transfer to large flexible container with lid and store in freezer.
6. You can eat it immediately or wait for it to firm up a bit in the freezer. If you like harder ice cream, allow to chill in freezer for several hours until desired consistency is reached.
7. Drizzle some melted chocolate on top, if desired, and serve cold. ;)