Coconut Basil Ice Cream

If you like basil… and you like coconut, try this ice cream. Since I’m from the sticks, I very rarely get the treat of eating “gourmet” vegan ice cream.  So, I realize that this flavor may very well be played out… but this is some tasty stuff!

Yesterday I was thinking how a mango/basil sorbet would be killergood for lunch (yeah, it’s been one of those weeks), and it clicked. Basil ice cream! No frills, just pure and delicious basil-y goodness hyped up with a little coconut milk. Then I googled it and saw that a few other folks had thought of that one already. But, it’s a really good idea! Maybe even classic? I think it’s my new favorite flavor.

Or not. Nothing will replace vanilla bean in this gal’s heart… but a close second? Yeah, I’ll give it that.

This ice cream has just the right amount of oomph from the peppery and minty basil, and a dash of coconut flair to make it shine. Perfected with a drizzle of chocolate on top.

Coconut Basil Ice Cream ~ Vegan & Gluten Free

•    1 cup chopped basil, any variety… I used Thai basil
•    1 cup organic granulated sugar
•    30 ounces (2 cans) full fat coconut milk
•    1/2 tsp sea salt

1.    Place chopped basil, sugar and 1 cup coconut milk into 2 quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved completely (no granules floating around, not even one).

2.    Let cool just briefly– it shouldn’t be too terribly warm–and transfer to blender. Blend until very smooth.

3.    In large bowl, mix with remaining coconut milk using whisk until uniform in texture.

4.    Chill mixture until cold, and then process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.

5.    Once it is finished, transfer to large flexible container with lid and store in freezer.

6.    You can eat it immediately or wait for it to firm up a bit in the freezer. If you like harder ice cream, allow to chill in freezer for several hours until desired consistency is reached.

7.    Drizzle some melted chocolate on top, if desired, and serve cold. ;)

Share with friends!

20 Responses to Coconut Basil Ice Cream

1. [...] is absolutely delicious! I found it here, posted by Allison. Basically it [...]

2. That looks and sounds amazing! Do you need an ice cream maker or could you use a vitamix?

You know, I am not sure as I have never made ice cream using a vitamix. I’m not sure how the freezing process would differ from using a regular blender… but this needs to be stirred every so often (at least) during the freezing process.
      Does the vitamix have some sort of attachment that will do this? I’m sure you could just blend it up, store in container and stir every twenty minutes or so for a few hours.. not exactly fun, but it should get the job done. Sorry I’m not more help!

3. Taylor says:

I really want to try this! Could you recommend an ice cream maker?

4. [...] Vegan: Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches + Coconut Basil Ice Cream + Lemon Olive Oil Cookies [...]

5. Gauri Radha गौरी राध says:

This looks amazing :)

6. James Dalton says:

thanks for this amazing recipe. I am always trying to get my nieces to try something different but it can be hard with kids. This is the perfect way to get them started :)

7. Samantha B says:

Ooo that sounds delicious. I must try. My mom’s been bugging me to make Lavender Ice Cream after she tried some while wine tasting. I think I might take a stab at it with this recipe swapping basil for fresh lavender. I will let you know how it turns out.

8. melissa says:

Blueberry and Basil is also a really good combination!

9. Mmmm this makes me think I should add “ice cream maker” to this year’s bday wish list! (Or just fly you up to Toronto for a visit).

10. Allyson, this looks INCREDIBLE! This is the next ice cream I want to make in my new ice cream maker!!!

11. Sarah says:

Don’t you just hate it when you think of something and then google it to find out that there are 100′s of recipes already!? This is one that I haven’t tried – - – YET!

12. Oh wait! I just noticed that you don’t require one! I’m going to make this ASAP instead!!

Becky! No! Wait! Stop! :) It does, in fact, require an ice cream maker. The darned form i use to submit recipes makes all the directions look wonky. :\ sorry, friend… this one may just have to wait for your sister (haha! love it!) to help out! Your enthusiasm is adorable, though! <3

13. This looks amazing! Next time I visit my ice cream maker…I mean, my sister…this recipe is so on!

14. Love basil! I have made ice cream with purple basil, also love putting in my smoothies too

15. I love basil, but never thought to make ice cream out of it. I’ve made ice cream out of corn and also beets, but this is a new one for me. I’ll definitely be trying it as I have my basil growing strong and I love anything with coconut in it. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Melissa