This is hardly a recipe, since it’s so simple to pull together and you can really let your creativity run wild with these. These festive treats have the appeal of caramel or candy apples without the need to slave over a hot stove for a long time, or the sticky mess.
- 8 small to medium sized apples
- 1 bag (2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 strong, but small twigs
- some sprinkles, nuts, seeds, or flaked coconut for sprinklin’
- parchment or waxed paper lined cookie sheet
First, wash and remove stems from apples. Dry each apple super duper well, and then replace the stem with a twig, by pushing down firmly but gently into the center of the apple. The twig should be lodged in there well enough to support the weight of the apple, so you can essentially pick up the apple with the twig. Although don’t go too crazy and start swinging ‘em around or whatevs, because they will dislodge and you could have a messy and possibly dangerous situation on your hands.
Next, over double boiler, or in large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips. Stir often to prevent scorching.
Using the twig lodged in the apple as a handle, gently coat apple with chocolate. Sprinkle with fixin’s and then transfer to parchment covered cookie sheet to harden up. Repeat until all apples are covered.
As cute as they are, and as tempting as it may be to shove one of these monstrosities into your mouth, these are easiest to eat when sliced up.
* I’m picturing Isa herself coming and slapping me on the wrist with a ruler. But she seems much too nice for that, don’t ya think?