Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Yes, it’s another orange soup. There may be more this month, so fair warning! But this one is a pretty awesome recipe, if I do say so myself.

This soup has a pleasant depth and is slightly sweet from the addition of those pretty orange potatoes and roasted cauliflower. The sweetness is delicately enhanced with a light sprinkle of garam masala. And, the chunky veggies and thick and creamy broth make it good choice for lunch or a light dinner.

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

yield: 6 to 8 servings

• 1 large head cauliflower (the one I used was at least 7″ in diameter
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • Few dashes garam masala (optional)
  • 3 medium to large sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 7 cups filtered water

First, preheat your oven to 400 °F and cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cauliflower lightly with garam masala. Place cauliflower onto ungreased cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and let roast until golden brown on the tops and tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. There’s no need to flip ‘em. Just remove from oven and let cool while you cook the rest of the soup.

In large stockpot, bring sweet potato, onion, garlic and water to a boil. Salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and stir. Reduce heat and allow to remain at a constant simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cooked cauliflower and divide soup into 2 parts.

Let soup cool and then blend one part soup in blender until very smooth. Combine with second part soup and stir. Salt to taste and warm up over stovetop if needed.

173 Responses to Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

1. Andrea Pokorny says:

Oops…. must have just been a short-term glitch. Working now!

2. Andrea Pokorny says:

The print (Joliprint) isn’t working. :( Is there another way to print this recipe? I’m creating a binder of favorites and I’d like to add this! Thanks!! Andrea

3. Love this recipe which I came across on Pinterest ! Had a look through your other wonderful recipes while I was here…..delicious ! I have a few readers who are looking for Vegan resources, so I have posted your site on my Facebook wall ! Thank you, Mary.

4. Barb says:

What is garam marsala? Is it a wine or spice?

Hi Barb,

Garam Masal is a spice mixture used in Indian cooking. Usually you can pick it up next to other spices in a general grocery store. :)

5. Barbara Ingram says:

Did you use Yams? mine is not orange, made with sweet potatoes!!

6. Betty says:

I’m 77 years old and never heard of garam masala. What is it and where do you find it? The recipe sounds great.

7. Paleo says:

Just made this with bacon and chicken – delicious

8. Leanna says:

How much does this recipe yield? It looks amazing!

9. Mary says:

I just made this! It is super yummy! However, I followed the recipe exactly and I have at least 12 servings! I am very excited to freeze some for a rainy day =]

10. Kristen says:

I made this last night it turned out delicious! I put some cinnamon in it and it turned out so good!

11. ALICIA says:

ALSO, I JUST TRIED CURRY IN IT AND IT WAS GREAT!

12. ALICIA says:

WHAT DO YOU HAVE SPRINKLED ON TOP OF THE SOUP?

13. [...] Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup [...]

14. Jill Freeman says:

About what size and how many servings does this recipe make? I’d love nutritional information on your recipes, but can figure them out based on servings. This sounds super yummy!!

15. Mollyliscious says:

Did you use yams? I got some sweet potatoes and they were white. Does it make a difference if you use a white sweet potato versus a yam?

hey Molly, good question. I used sweet potatoes, just an orange variety: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_potato I’m sure you can use the white variety here, it may just be a touch less sweet.

I unfortunately rarely see yams anywhere but Asian markets or specialty stores where I’m from… but I know this is a confusing and much debated topic, that’s why I’m providing the link. :) What I used was of a fleshy orange variety, with a thin golden skin. However, you have sparked my curiosity as to what this would taste like with a yam, since I actually prefer them to sweet potatoes. I bet delicious!

16. Alimax says:

I just made this and it’s very tasty & easy! I added some fresh grated ginger at the end as I felt it was missing a little zip and the ginger worked just great!

17. Trista says:

oh my gosh this soup is AMAZING! I added some leftover quinoa with grilled veggies and some toasted pine nuts. Delicious! I also used half veg stock, half water for the liquid. Very flavorful, will be making/enjoying this soup for years to come.

18. [...] & breakfasts: crustless quiche (my own concoction, sweet potato soup, salads, homemade coleslaw & smoked chicken (my mom just dropped one [...]

19. [...] Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup sounds good for a chilly weekend… [...]

20. Thanks for this post! I’m going to try it next week when I go grocery shopping =)

21. Gina says:

Did anyone figure out how many points plus? It looks so yummy!

22. NKA says:

I am a soup person in general and I loved this one!!!
    I will be making it all the time!!!

23. Debbi says:

OMG that looks so yummy and I love sweet potatoes plus so good for you. I am going to try this one for sure thank you. : )

24. Aliza says:

I just made this for dinner with some cauliflower I got from my CSA. It is amazing!! The only changes I made were to use vegetable broth instead of water, and to sautee the onion and garlic in some olive oil before adding the potatoes and broth. It’s delicious!!!

25. I see a lot of recipes in a week. This one looks pretty special – I can’t wait to try it! Cauliflower and sweet potatoes are two of my favorite foods!

26. robin says:

Are those scallions in the soup? What are the black seeds?

yes, but they are just garnish… not at all integral to the recipe. the black garnish is kallonji, again, not at all important in the recipe. :)

27. Erin says:

Just used this recipe and loved it! Super easy, cheap, and makes lots! I added some cinnamon for a bit more flavor. Thanks!

28. Jen D says:

I don’t love chunks of cauliflower. do you think it would be good with ALL of it pureed instead of having the chunks of cauliflower on top?

29. peg says:

you mentioned garam marsala but it’s not in the ingredients list. You just sprinkle some on top after it’s all done?

Thanks, Peg! It’s supposed to get sprinkled on top of the cauliflower while roasting, just a dash or three. So glad you caught that. Since so many people have made this happily so far, I guess I’ll suggest it as optional. :)

Thanks again!

30. Jessica Mitchell says:

I’m cooking this right now its simmering and smelling good!!!
    I was wondering is you can freeze the leftovers?

hey Jessica,
      yeah, I’d say it would freeze pretty well. Freezing may change the texture of the cauliflower a tad, but cauliflower freezes well, so it shouldn’t be a bad (or even significant) change. :)

31. Lauren says:

I’m eating this now. :) All smiles! Thanks.

32. Tasha says:

This looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it! I’m also extremely happy that it’s in a vintage Pyrex snowflake bowl. Super cute!

33. RockStar says:

Hello!
    I so made this yesterday for lunch and added some ground flaxseed b/c I put it in everything and need the omega 3′s in my diet :) It was a really good soup! And today I spotted some leftover cranberry sauce in my fridge (not from thanksgiving) and needed to use it so I added a little bit and it tasted really good! haha. Weird right?!

34. Vanessa says:

I could have sworn I commented the night I made this but I don’t see it so not sure…I wasn’t sure about this soup but decided to make it. I’m not a big sweet soup person. Oh boy was it good. I added some Mexican Oregano and topped with curry spiced almonds. mmmmmmm mmmmmm. Thank you for the recipe! It was so easy, I’ll be making it many times!

35. [...] my quest for amazing vegan Christmas recipes, I stumbled across this sweet potato cauliflower soup recipe from Manifest Vegan. The recipe called my attention with it’s sweet orange color and [...]

36. Lisa says:

Just made this and it is so good. Roasting the cauliflower is key and worth the extra step or two.

This time I roasted the cauliflower, the sweet potatoes too then put it all in the crockpot and added a handful of dried lentils. Soooo good.

Thanks for the recipe!
    L

37. Could use use frozen cauliflower in this? Thats all i have on hand. How much? thanks!

Hello Ariana,

Unfortunately I don’t think the frozen would work well, since it has to be roasted… but you could give it a whirl. May not make a bad soup, just a little different. :) The ratio would be the same… anywhere from 4-6 cups.

38. Monique Koch says:

Just made this recipe-Delicious :-)

39. Sat says:

I made this for dinner tonight, with a few modifications. I only had 1 sweet potato on hand so I used a couple of small red potatoes and a russet as substitutes for the other 2 sweet potatoes. I also threw in some random spices at the end to finish it off. It turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!

40. Monique Koch says:

This soup looks very good. I’m adding cauliflower to my grocery list right now. :-)

41. I LOVE SOUP. I have a big kabocha squash sitting on my counter that’s been seductively whispering my name every time I pass it, and I think it’s time I give it some attention! Kabocha cauliflower instead of sweet potato cauliflower? I think that will make a yummy substitution… :) Thanks for this!

42. Hannah says:

A five ingredient soup that looks so good is insane- I really have to try this one! It looks perfectly creamy and comforting, which is just what I could use for all of these rainy days we have forecasted for the coming days…

43. I know what I’m having for dinner tonight!!!!!

44. Katrina says:

I can’t get over how simple this is! This soup sounds lovely.

45. Tiffany says:

Wow, what a vibrant soup! It sounds delicious and perfect for enjoying on a chilly autumn day. I like that the list of ingredients is so simple, too.

46. This recipe sounds delicious and the colours look amazing! There is nothing better than a warm soup on a fall evening!

47. Mandee says:

That is one pretty soup and not a combination I’ve made before so I’ll be trying this one out ;)

48. Angela says:

Now THAT is a good-looking cauliflower soup! I made one once that looked like glue… and didn’t taste much better! This one has been bookmarked. As always, thank you :)

• Marilyn says:

Yeah…..I made a regular cauliflower soup that was just a waste as well. Your post made me smile.

49. Kierstan says:

Well, what good timing! I just dug up some beautiful sweet potatoes form my garden! Can’t wait to give this a try…I love orange soups and can’t get enough of them in the fall/winter.

50. jessy says:

bring on the orangeness, Allyson! it’s MoFo and i think the more orange the better. i’m dig’n your dishware and all i need to make your soup happen is cauliflower. wheeeeeeeeeee!