Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Yes, it’s another orange soup. There may be more this month, so fair warning! But this one is a pretty awesome recipe, if I do say so myself.

This soup has a pleasant depth and is slightly sweet from the addition of those pretty orange potatoes and roasted cauliflower. The sweetness is delicately enhanced with a light sprinkle of garam masala. And, the chunky veggies and thick and creamy broth make it good choice for lunch or a light dinner.

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

yield: 6 to 8 servings

• 1 large head cauliflower (the one I used was at least 7″ in diameter
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • Few dashes garam masala (optional)
  • 3 medium to large sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 7 cups filtered water

First, preheat your oven to 400 °F and cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cauliflower lightly with garam masala. Place cauliflower onto ungreased cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and let roast until golden brown on the tops and tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. There’s no need to flip ‘em. Just remove from oven and let cool while you cook the rest of the soup.

In large stockpot, bring sweet potato, onion, garlic and water to a boil. Salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and stir. Reduce heat and allow to remain at a constant simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cooked cauliflower and divide soup into 2 parts.

Let soup cool and then blend one part soup in blender until very smooth. Combine with second part soup and stir. Salt to taste and warm up over stovetop if needed.

173 Responses to Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

1. I made this last week. I doubled the recipe and gave some to my mom. I really liked having cauliflower chunks in the soup. It gave it some texture. I love that it is healthy and easy to make. Great recipe!

2. Toz says:

I’m not even vegan and I love this recipe! I added some green onion and crushed red pepper to it.

Tasty tasty.

3. Sharan says:

I would add some coconut milk!!!

4. Maria says:

Instead of boiling the sweet potatoes, I roasted those too at 400F for 1 hour. I also sautéed the onion and garlic before adding chicken stock, the sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and garam masala & salt. I let it boil before pureeing half of the soup, then garnished with chives before serving. It came out amazing.

5. jen says:

This was awesome both times, one of my new fav recipies. Shared with a friend, they agree and have made several times. And super easy, though I cheated and used immersion blender ;). Ty

6. Cher says:

Just made this soup and it is DEE-LISH! Thank you for posting!! And thank you to all the commenters as I took some of the suggestions and was very happy with the result! I couldn’t find the garam masala – so I used Emeril’s Essense instead. I used chicken stock instead of water and I added an apple and carrots! The texture is perfect (I did the half blend/half chunky) and the taste is sweet and spicy! Will definitely make this again!

7. Lauren says:

I made this tonight and altered the recipe a bit!

I threw in 2 bouillon cube (/veggie broth) and added several dashes of cayenne, cumin, and additional garam masala into the soup mix. Top with chopped scallions. Yum! Next time I’ll try throwing in some carrots with the sweet potatoes!

8. melissa says:

made last night — using a sweet potato not a yam so the color wasn’t as orange; delicious! any chance of getting the nutritional information for this recipe.

9. Lisa says:

Hi! Love reading the reviews about this soup! It looks delish! I was wondering if anyone has tried using White Sweet Potatoes instead of the regular sweet potatoes and if it was just as good. I’m not a vegetarian, however, I am beginning to incorporate alot more fruits and veggies into my diet and trying to get away from meats and carbs.

Also where does one find Garam Masala? I’ve such a spice whore (lol)but have never heard of this spice.. :)

Thanks!

• Lauren says:

I’m pretty sure you can find garam masala in most grocery stores! It’s used in lots of indian dishes.. I use it all the time in my soups!

10. [...] This is a modified version. The original can be found here. [...]

11. Lindsey says:

Wow, wow, wow! This was such an excellent soup. My non-vegan extended family raved over this one. Thanks!

12. Mary Ann says:

I’ve made this a couple times now and added the spoonful of peanut butter suggestion both times. I think it’s delicious. I also never bothered with blending anything. After I combined and let it all soften up, I just use a potato masher to mash up everything in the pot to make it thick and chunky. Thanks!! ;-)

13. Lisa G says:

I made this and it was very yummy. I did not have the garam masala so that didn’t go in. I also roasted the garlic with the cauliflower instead of putting it in with the sweet potatoes. I added some left over chicken. Made a nice dinner with a salad. I will try it with the garam masala when I get some. Thanks for the recipe!

• Linda says:

Instead of buying garam masala you can just use a mix of cumin and coriander, with a little cinnamon & ground cloves…that’s the same thing.

14. deb says:

This was yummy. I modified it by using 3 cups chicken stock (thats all i had left), 3 cups water and 1 cup Half&Half. Loved it. Will definately make again.

15. mac says:

If you want it thicker, just mash up more of the cooked potato pieces once you add the puree back into it.

16. Kate says:

Sounds delicious. Do you know if it freezes well?

17. Alicia says:

Not a vegetarian, but I love soup. Made this the other day (I halved it – it turned out fine). I doubled the spices. Loved it. My hubby and kids liked the flavor but not the texture, but oh well – more for me :)

I would recommend another optional ingredient – nut butter – you can either add it to the soup or to a bowl you are serving into. Soooooo good. I’ve tried peanut butter and almond butter – both are good. You could also sprinkle nuts on top just before serving. Nut butters pair so well with sweet potato :)

18. Alana says:

WOW. I pinned this for a Thanksgiving appetizer and made it last night. I had to improvise a bit, with the onions and garlic (I used powdered and minced, accordingly). I LOVED it. Seriously good. The soup was thick and a had plenty of little cauliflower bits in it. I know this blog is dedicated to vegan, but I added a bit of heavy cream to the soup once I had pureed it all. It made it so smooth and velvety. SO good! I’m going to link you on my blog.

19. Good Guys says:

Making this for dinner tonight. Thanks!

20. Alice says:

I added an apple and crushed pepper for a little heat. Delicious.

21. Betsy says:

A friend brought this soup to my house for dinner last night. It was so delicious I had to find the recipe right away. Love it!

22. Jan says:

Just about finished making this right now. My son had his wisdom teeth out last Thursday so needs a lot of soup! He likes sweet potatoes so I hope this is a hit. Having read some of the very latest comments, I am going to purée 3/4 of the mixture I think and just keep 1/4 for the chunkiness. I also added some extra masala to the soup during cooking. I think the cauliflower roasted like that with masala was just delicious – I battled not to eat all that up first! That’s how I will always serve cauliflower from now on I think!

23. Sheila G says:

This soup is absolutely delish! I saved a few smaller pieces of roasted cauliflower for the topping and added the rest to pot. Used immersion blender to puree all in pot. Thick and yummy! Thanks for easy, delicious recipe.

24. This is simmering on my stove right now and my house smelled so good!! I think when it comes time to puree, I’m going to blend up most of the potatoes, onion mixture and half the cauliflower. I can’t wait to dive into this. I have a pan of great cornbread that I found on The Chocolate Dipped Diet blog to go with it!

25. Stuart says:

When you turn the heat down to simmer the potato/onion/garlic mixture, do you leave the top on or off the pot? I figure evaporating some of the liquid off (with the top off) will make a thicker soup, but I am not sure what is intended…Smells delicious as I am cooking it now!

26. Susan says:

I don’t let my soup cool before blending it — no pan to wash from heating it up :) If you want a thicker soup, don’t use all the water/broth when you blend it up. There are sooooooo many ways to vary this to make it different everytime — I eat veggie based soups like this four or five nights a week, especially in winter. A little nutmeg, ginger, and/or cumin is good in sweet potato or squash based soups. You can also do this with regular potatoes. I sometimes add leftover cooked pasta to my soup for something different.

27. AJ says:

I know this sounds strange but I mixed in a spoonful of peanut butter to each bowl I served and it was delicious! I also used 4 cups of chicken broth and only 3 cups of water. Great soup!

not strange at all! (to me, at least) I often add peanut butter to soups… so glad it worked well here! thanks!

28. Mellissa says:

I made it and enjoyed it tonight. I added Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning for a little more kick :) My husband and I both thought corn would be nice in it, for more texture.

29. Sam says:

I just made it. Delish! Love the chunky texture.

30. Victoria says:

Anybody have a general idea of servings in this recipe? I’ve got four little ones plus husband and myself, and I just want to be sure I don’t need to double it!

31. Madison says:

How many servings does this make? I am making it for about 20 friends tomorrow night and trying to figure out how much more I need to buy for it. Looks amazing

32. Robin Aiken says:

I made this tonight…followed the receipt exactly. It was delicious!

33. Kate says:

Delicious – I made a few revisions. I sauteed the onion and garlic a little first, subbed organic chicken broth (veg would be good to, but I had chicken on hand) for the water to add more flavor and pureed the whole pot. Thanks for the recipe

34. [...] be trying out the Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup and the Zucchini Grain Cakes this weekend, both found on that helpful site, in addition to making [...]

35. Lib says:

Loved this soup! I find it very filling. Any idea on nutrition facts for this delightful treat? :)

• Kele says:

I threw the recipe into CalorieCount’s recipe analyzer and got this (for the entire recipe, mind you, not per serving!!):

Calories 914
      Calories from Fat 142
      Total Fat 15.7g – 24%
      Saturated Fat 2.4g – 12%
      Cholesterol 0mg – 0%
      Sodium 352mg – 15%
      Total Carbohydrates 182.2g – 61%
      Dietary Fiber 41.5g – 166%
      Sugars 27.1g
      Protein 25.1g
      Vitamin A 15%
      Vitamin C 795%
      Calcium 35%
      Iron 37%

So divide that by however many servings you get out of a batch!

36. Kristin says:

My texture was off on this soup, it was a tad bit gritty…any suggestions?

• Kele says:

I’ve made this at least a half dozen times and have never had that problem! Did you leave the peels on the sweet potatoes? I could see that doing it. Either that or maybe your cauliflower wasn’t washed enough and got some grit into the soup? I can’t imagine what else in the ingredients would have come out less than velvety smooth. :\

37. [...] found this recipe on the blog Manifest Vegan.  Awesome name, right?  I’m not even vegan, and I want to try so many of the recipes I [...]

38. Danno says:

When I made it, I found it to be a little bland and thin at first. I’m more of a thick chowder kind of guy. I added cornstarch to the broth to thicken it, and some more garam masala directly to the soup to give it more spice. Is the garlic supposed to be sliced or minced? Also, what did you add to garnish the soup in the photo? Chives?

Overall, it’s a simple, good soup. Thanks for the recipe.

• Diana says:

I’m not sure but it looks like Chia Seeds on the top of the soup.

• Susan says:

If you don’t want to use cornstarch to thicken it, just cook a few more veggies or don’t use all the water/broth when blending.

39. [...] Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup  http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/10/sweet-potato-cauliflower-soup/ [...]

40. Lauren says:

So you take half of the soup with water, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and puree; then add it back to the other part which is still water & veggies? Seems weird to add a puree back to water and solid veggies – even if they are tender. Thanks!

• Sandra says:

You put the pureed soup back into the unpureed part so you get a thicker chunky soup:)

sounds great! Thanks for the recipe

41. Jori says:

Yeah, mine didn’t turn out nearly as excellent looking at yours. Bummer! Still tasted okay. It needed a little something, I think. I added a little bit of ground Thyme.

42. [...] manifestvegan.com via Pepper on [...]

43. [...] adapted from here. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

44. Linda says:

This sounds very good! Do you think this could be home canned?

45. Tara says:

Absolutely LOVE this soup!!!! So simple and so tasty! The second time I made it I added kale to it (I’m always looking for ways to add it to recipes since its so packed full of nutrients), turned out great! Thanks for this recipe!

46. Felice says:

My husband made this soup today. It is fabulous! We are bringing some of it to friends and can’t wait to see what they think of it! Truly wonderful and highly recommended!!

47. Buttoni says:

This sounds WONDERFUL! I look forward to trying this soon.

48. Debbie says:

Would curry work instead of garam marsala?

49. Dyanne says:

Trying this one out tonight. Am hoping the pretty colours will tempt my fussy kids, and keep me on my Whole30 :)