Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

Yes, it’s another orange soup. There may be more this month, so fair warning! But this one is a pretty awesome recipe, if I do say so myself.

This soup has a pleasant depth and is slightly sweet from the addition of those pretty orange potatoes and roasted cauliflower. The sweetness is delicately enhanced with a light sprinkle of garam masala. And, the chunky veggies and thick and creamy broth make it good choice for lunch or a light dinner.

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

yield: 6 to 8 servings

• 1 large head cauliflower (the one I used was at least 7″ in diameter
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • Few dashes garam masala (optional)
  • 3 medium to large sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 7 cups filtered water

First, preheat your oven to 400 °F and cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cauliflower lightly with garam masala. Place cauliflower onto ungreased cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and let roast until golden brown on the tops and tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. There’s no need to flip ‘em. Just remove from oven and let cool while you cook the rest of the soup.

In large stockpot, bring sweet potato, onion, garlic and water to a boil. Salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and stir. Reduce heat and allow to remain at a constant simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cooked cauliflower and divide soup into 2 parts.

Let soup cool and then blend one part soup in blender until very smooth. Combine with second part soup and stir. Salt to taste and warm up over stovetop if needed.

Share with friends!

173 Responses to Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

1. […] Recipe and Photo credit to allysonkramer.com […]

2. Shayn Baron says:

I made this a little different tonight. Instead of water I used veggie broth and added a shallot. No garam masala ( didn’t have any). Thanks for sharing :) This was really good!

3. Blah says:

Gonna make this tonight. I’m thinking some cayenne pepper, chopped cerano peppers and half vegetable stock half water. All organic.

4. […] forget (I’m sure some if you can relate!) I found a soup I had pinned a while ago – Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup! This soup may sound boring or yucky, but you have to try it before you knock it. I have actually […]

5. sharon Russell says:

Absolutely delicious! Certainly add vegetable stock though…. my husband is going to love it.

6. […] Recipe and Photos credit to allysonkramer.com […]

7. Becky says:

I’m wondering if this can be frozen and rewarded and still be as good as fresh?? I doubled recipe because I was hoping to freeze it. Thanks!!

8. ellen says:

made this tonight. followed directions exactly, until I read comments and threw in a veg. bouillon cube. With just a splash of sour cream and crackers, I thought it was really good – especially for the nutrients in it.

9. Michelle says:

Superb soup. I never really appreciated the flavor of vegetables until I became a vegetarian. This recipe showcases how unique and amazing the flavor of well seasoned veggies is. I chose to instead toss the cauliflower in some basil and a sprinkle of thyme. After coating the cauliflower lightly with olive oil, I grilled it instead of sticking it in the oven. Can I say, the most amazing flavor ever. The soup turned out delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

10. Lucy Crook says:

Thanks for the recipe! I think I’ll try roasting the sweet potatoes next time to give it a bit more complexity. Super yummy soup!

11. Dan says:

I just made this and it was super-delicious. Nice recipe, thanks for sharing!

12. ChrisBasham says:

I only had one sweet potato, so I supplemented with some carrots, thinking this probably creates a lighter soup. Delicious! Thanks for a great recipe!

• SharonT says:

Try making it using your own veggie broth, store is very high in sodium and bland ….
      Great soup! Thank you….

• Karen says:

The recipe doesn’t call for veggie stock so why use it? It’s made with veggies and has excellent flavour – its the reason why some people had poor results. It’s a delicious subtle taste. I have made this often, but usually add carrots as well as sweet potato, a stick of celery and some red pepper flakes. It’s awesome comfort food.

13. Emma says:

This soup was a little bland at first, but I added more salt, pepper, some ground red pepper and some curry powder and now I adore it! I like the chunky side, too, even though I usually love pureed soups – better for bread dipping :)

14. Kathleen says:

I pinned this recipe awhile back and finally made it tonight and found it to be delicious! I just tweaked it a bit. I sauteed the onions and garlic in a little olive oil and then added 1 tsp of garam masala to toast with the aromatics (instead of sprinkling it on the cauliflower), then I added 3 cups of water, a carton of veggie stock and the sweet potatoes. I seasoned it with plenty of salt and pepper, and we pureed half as directed although we decided that we’d like the whole soup pureed. I sprinkled it with chopped chives before serving. My husband loved it!

15. Rosy Bailey says:

Made this tonight after finding the recipe on Pinterest. All fresh ingredients and using vegetable stock instead of water I still found it really bland. I kept adding things to try and give it some flavour, adding some chilli flakes and grated nutmeg. This made it palatable but as I have a large pot of it I think I might be adding some curry paste to try and increase the flavour. So sorry to give a negative comment after all the positive ones.

16. Melissa MacDonald says:

I made this tonight. Super good. thank you so much!

17. Chana says:

Delicious!!!! I rarely leave comments but this one deserves it! Yuuuum! I didn’t have the spice mixture at home. I googled the ingredients and put in whatever it called for that I had in my house. I blended up all the ingredients, thought my family would enjoy it better that way– they did!!! And I love that’s is so healthy! All natural ingredients!! Thanks for posting this!
    XX

18. Tjcooker says:

Yum..I just made your soup…. All made from fresh ingredients, I just added one thing… Vegetable stock (powder) an all natural one …nothing sinister in it….. Thanks for the recipe.. :-)

19. LMD says:

Hmmm, this was a good starter recipe but I think it needs something to ramp up the flavor. I didn’t have garam masala, so I didn’t use it. I wouldn’t expect an optional ingredient to leave the recipe so lacking. I baked my sweet potatoes rather than boil them, because I think baking lends more flavor than boiling. I was out of stock so I used water as the recipe called for, but next time I would definitely add veggie stock. I added some chipotle chili powder, but it was still missing something so I added some sherry which improved the flavor. Today when I re-heated the leftovers I added some half and half and a little butter (I am not vegan) and it was yummy. Like I said, a good starter recipe, so thank you for sharing! Next time I might try it with cumin and a little cinnamon for a morrrocan flavor. Curry powder would also be delicious.

20. Meganlee says:

This may sound like a really DUMB question, but I just want to make sure. The water is never drained and discarded right? I wouldn’t think so, but I’m notorious for screwing a new recipe up, and like I said I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

21. Kadee says:

I just made this tonight… Sooooo yummy. I substituted vegetable stock for half the water and blended all of the soup so my hubby wouldn’t know cauliflower was in it. It’s kind of amazing.

22. Lori D says:

I just made this tonight from all fresh ingredients. I even made my own version of garam masala (looked up the ingredients). I eat in the Paleo style so I try to make sure everything I eat is never processed through a manufacturing plant.

But I digress….. this soup is fabulous! I love it, my family loves it, and I will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

23. jae says:

WOW! This soup us A-MAZING! I just finished making it for the first time &I love it. I used what I had in the kitchen. I used a large can of sweet potatoes, 5cups of water, 1 tbls each of Tastefully Simples Onion Onion and Garlic Garlic and a few dashes of sea salt. I had planned on using the California blend frozen broccoli and califlower mix but realized at the last minute that I was out so the soup is without veggies but still very good. I pulsed in blender for about 1 min and the consistency was perfect. I coupled it with a grilled cheese sandwich and I am now thoroughly satisfied and watching the snow fall here in PA. THANK YOU SOOOO much for the recipe. I look forward to more.

• Megan says:

I loved this the best the 2nd or 3rd day! I added a little cayenne pepper too! Delish! Thank you!

24. Mara says:

Would you be able to freeze this soup?

Hi Mara,

I would think so yes. The cauliflower will probably change consistency a bit.. but should work well. :)

25. Susan says:

Really, really good! Took into consideration some other comments and added kale, used an immersion blender to blend it all for a chowder like consistency. Added Trader Joe’s super sweet corn after blending and it was superb!!!

26. Cecile says:

Hi there! I loved your recipe, it is very nice. I just replaced the cauliflower its Roman version and kept less water. Otherwise, it is a great idea!! I reblogged it! Thanks for your site. Cecile

27. Sandy says:

I just made this. I blended the whole pot after it simmered and then added the roasted cauliflower to the creamy mixture. That was perfect! I added more salt, some honey, a pinch of cayenne, and it was Spike seasoning (no salt) that was the final touch that made the flavor really come out!

28. Jen B says:

I found this recipe via Pinterest, and made it for dinner tonight. Delicious! I followed the recipe with just a small adjustment. I used a carton of low sodium chicken broth (about 4 cups) and 3 cups of water (instead of the suggested 7 cups of water) and I pureed the whole soup so it was silky smooth and served with a dollap of sour cream. My super picky daughter ate 2 whole bowls!!! Thank you so much for sharing this super easy and delicious recipe ♡

29. Tracey says:

Loved this soup. After cooking the sweet potato, onion, and garlic (in veg. broth) I pureed all of it, then added the roasted cauliflower and simmered for ten minutes. The texture was perfect. I too added more masala, and coriander.

30. Nikola says:

Just made it…but I also added half a can of coconut milk in it and it is delicious! Super healthy too…Thanx!

31. [...] knew a vegetable soup could be so hearty? This recipe from Manifest Vegan takes full advantage of fall’s seasonal veggies, combining cauliflower and [...]

32. Judy Gray says:

I was really looking forward to making this soup. Followed the instructions per the recipe and I’m very disappointed. The garlic and onion, in my opinion, did nothing for this soup. Unpinned the recipe.

33. Lystessa says:

I’ve made this twice now. This last time I added an apple, and I happened to be roasting an eggplant at the same time. The smell in the kitchen was so good that I tried putting some pureed eggplant (with lemon juice and a bit of garlic powder) into the soup. It was quite awesome!

34. Pam says:

made with butternut squash instead of sweet potato. Used Garam Masala (not spicy) & Tandoori. This is a great soup!