While I completely fubbed up with my last freeloading friday post (pathetic that I can’t even freeload in style, eh?), I’m taking advantage of this Tuesday evening by posting this awesome xgfx (vegan & gluten free) survey that my pal Jessy came up with.
Isn’t it rad? You should fill it out too, either on a comment here or as a post on your own blog! Sharing is fun.
1. What’s your favorite gluten-free flour?
If I had to pick just one, I’d pick besan (chickpea flour).
2. What have you always wanted to deglutenize, but haven’t yet?
The soft pull from a freshly torn off hunk of french bread. And the crispy crunchy chewy crust.
3. What’s one of your favorite xgfx meals to make?
Tinkyada pasta and some fancy smancey sauce. I could spend all day making my pasta sauce and I really really really love eating pasta. It seems to be what I’m always craving after I run each day. When we first moved to Philly I made some sort of pasta based meal for dinner for a month straight… and I’m still not sick of it!
4. Your biggest gluten-free success that makes ya most proud?
My basic bread and my pie crust in my upcoming cookbook. I also am thrilled that I’m not intimidated by gluten free baking at all anymore; I’m excited by it!
5. Most “epic xgfx fail”?
The entire first month or two of being xgfx was a pretty epic fail for me. Everything I touched turned to hot molten goo and then cooled into solid rock.
6. What product do you wish was xgfx that isn’t?
All the awesome beers out there. And French bread.
7. If you could pass along one gluten-free tip to a gluten-free newbie, what would it be?
Don’t give up! It’s easy if you just keep messing around with all those flours! You will definitely find your groove. Trust me! :D
8. What’s your favorite xgfx product?
9. Is there anything you miss being gluten-free?
Real beer. Good bread. I miss one of those almost every single day. *tear*
10. Any xgfx techniques you’ve learned that have been most helpful?
Saran wrap! Tape it to your counter top to help handle the most sticky xgfx doughs, and to make them more rollable and easier to work with.
11. Have you found a favorite gluten-free pizza dough recipe that makes your heart sing?
I have! I think xgfx pizza dough has been the easiest of all bready things for me to tackle. I’ve never been a big fan of the crispy thin crusts (my hubs is a huge advocate) and instead always craved the big floppy slices dripping with toppings. So I have had the most success with thicker more Sicilian type doughs, and also some unorthodox pies (such as cracker and crispy socca crusts).
12. Xanthan gum. Do you or don’t you? Love it or leave it?
Love it. I do. Without it, most of my baked foodz fall apart.
13. Favorite gluten free prepackaged bread.
I hate them all. Really, I’m such a priss about this. I really like socca, but that’s not prepackaged– and I’ve tried at least 6 kinds and they all taste like stale discount dollar loaf bread to me. I really love homemade bread though.
14. What’s your favorite way to nosh on quinoa?
In salads! I love mixing it up with some roasted veggies and fresh greens. Add a little dressing and it’s one of the easiest meals ever!
15. Name five of your most coveted pantry staples.
Almond milk, besan, my giant spice collection, olive oil and nooch.
16. If you could only buy three gluten free flours to last you for three months, what would they be?
Besan (chickpea flour), sorghum flour and tapioca starch
17. Any xgfx ingredients you are intimidated about trying?
The gluten replacer stuff. It’s expensive and I’m afraid of disappointment. The amazon reviews aren’t terribly convincing either. If any of you have tried it, I wanna know! Please share…?
18. Favorite place to buy foods?
Indian or Asian markets!
19. Favorite meal when dining out?
Baingan Bharta with basmati and a hella lotta chutney.
20. Freebee – create your own question and have fun with it!
Favorite xgfx treat (something that you only get for yourself every once and awhile)?