Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies

I’ve been holding onto a fierce craving for coconut as of late. I think it’s because the lovely white flakes remind me of snow… which we haven’t actually seen much of in Philly. It’s been 50-60 + degrees almost every day. With sunny skies.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer flaked coconut snow over the real stuff any ol’ day– but there is something so magical about watching snow fall slowly against the glow of a streetlight. I am really looking forward to seeing some white stuff this year–which is a bold statement coming from a self proclaimed snow loather. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, and since by now in Ohio I’m positive my family and I would have been pummeled by at least some atrocious freezing rain with me cursing up a storm about how we need to move to Tahiti, I guess it’s true. I think I’m really ready to brace the cold this year, armed with cute scarves and warm toasty beverages. If it ever actually gets here, that is. If not, I’ll happily play along in 60 degree temps.

Whether it’s snowy and cold or sunny and warm wherever you may be in the world, these cookies will fit the bill. Chewy and full of texture like an oatmeal cookie, these are best served completely cooled rather than warm from the oven.

Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies~Vegan & Gluten Free

Dry Ingredients:

3/4 cup sorghum flour

1/4 cup brown rice flour (superfine or regular)

1/4 cup potato starch

2 tbsp tapioca flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cups flaked coconut

Wet Ingredients:

1/3 cup + 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter

2 tbsp vegan margarine

1 cup granulated sugar

3 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water

1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:

1/2 cup coconut flaked, toasted (to toast, simply place in oven in single layer on cookie sheet at 375 °F, until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.)

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

In large electric mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients using a whisk until well combined.

In separate medium sized bowl, cream together peanut butter, margarine and sugar until smooth. Add in prepared flaxseed meal and vanilla and stir well.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until clumpy. The dough will be slightly dry, but you’ll be able to pack it into a clump, typical of peanut butter or oatmeal cookie dough.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down with fork and top with toasted coconut.

Bake 9-11 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Share with friends!

16 Responses to Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies

1. Michelle says:

hi there. just picked up your book a few weeks ago. i have quite the mixed up family.. 4 vegans (me and 3 kids), 1 meat eater (hubby), 2 gf (hubby and son). thanks so much for writing a completely vegan AND gf book! i’ve been able to pick out some recipes from other books, but it’s nice to have a book that caters to us! i cook mostly vegan and gf.. occasionally i’ll make some gluten stuff just for my girls, but then my boyz get jealous, lol!!

these cookies look fantastic! i love pb, and i love coconut. these cookies would be just up my alley. wouldn’t ya know that i *just* ran out of flax seeds? must get more tomorrow and make these. and the butterscotch amaretti. drool!

You are very welcome, Michelle. Thank you so so much for leaving such a thoughtful and sweet comment. It just makes my day that you find my recipes in the book so useful for you and your family–that’s exactly what I was hoping for!

<3 happy cooking!
      allyson

(ps: I can totally relate to your men getting jealous over the gluten!)

2. amey says:

oh man, I just made these for two of my yoga classes – LOVE!!! They are INSANELY good. I was needing another good xgfx cookie standby, and these were amazing. Plus, I already had it all in my cupboards! yeah! Thanks for such a wonderful recipe. :)

Amey,

thank you, thank you, thank you. For loving my cookies, for buying my book, and for just being all around amazing!!

allyson

3. Shaina says:

Made these today and they are wonderful!! My kids are allergic to peanut so I used sunflower butter. Thanks again for sharing your recipes!!

4. Mihl says:

I live with a snow and peanut butter hater. That we probably won’t see any snow by the end of the year will make him happy. Making and eating these cookies on the other hand will make me happy. And will make up for the lack of snow.

5. Um, these are pretty much the prettiest cookies ever. And I love them. And I have not even made them yet. But c’mon, peanut butter and coconut? I already know. :)

6. Carrie says:

Yum!! Those look fantastic!!

Chick oStick. Is THAT what those are? I’ve only ever seen them at those humongoid road stop shops. No wonder my husband likes them. They look so weird I wouldn’t ever try one. Snob. Yours look good enough to eat though. Yours always look good enough to eat. How do you do that? Oh, Allyson, now that you’re in Pennsylvania you need to get a Pennsylvania Dutch Kitchen Witch not that you need any help, they’re just fun.

8. yum!!! pb + coconut… awesome combo. I may have to add a bit of chocolate in there, my husband’s been on a chocolate kick :) But I’ve been craving coconut lately too, maybe it’s a vegan adaptation for keeping warm… the saturated fat does help your body maintain temperature… Oh, and today in Ottawa (Canada), the temp was 45F which is crazy-mild! Anyway, I’m looking forward to my clump of coconut-peanut butter cookie dough :)

• Laurel says:

I LOVE the way you think. Maybe it is a vegan adaptation to maintain your body temperature as well as keeping my tummy very, very happy.

9. Katrina says:

Mmmm these cookies sound lovely!

10. allyson says:

It was pretty mild where we were! Just a little bit of slushy snow for like 8 hours. :) From what I remember in Ohio, it would start that crud around Halloween and just get worse as the days grew on–all the way until March!
    It’s beautiful here right now. Warm temps and sun peeking through the clouds. Ahhh….

I keep checking the weather for comparison… tomorrow’s forecast Ohio: 38 and snow, and here: 60 and chance of rain. Yet another reason I LOVE Philly! Please don’t burst my bubble and tell me this is not normal, Caitlin. Please.

On the coconut peanut butter mix… think chick-o-stick. I was inspired by Halloween candy.

• Caitlin says:

i forgot the city didn’t get hit as hard ;)

i’ve been loving the warmer temps. and i love the sun shining through the clouds right now, too ;) let’s hope it stays this nice all winter :D !! kinda cool that we’re both in the same area and are sharing weather experiences ;)

and is weird that i’ve never heard of chick-o-stick?

11. Caitlin says:

are you forgetting about the ridiculous snow storm we had the weekend before halloween? because that was pretty ridiculous ;) i’d prefer coconut snow over the real thing any day of the week ;) i’d never think to pair coconut and pb, but it makes complete sense!