Fast and furious is how I would describe these tasty sandwich alternatives. They’re like meal sized salads on the go! I’m not generally a huge fan of tempeh, but I think it works exceptionally well in salad-y dishes such as this one.
For more tender collard or kale leaves, lightly rub each side with a mixture of 1/2 tsp olive oil plus a dash or two of salt and a 1/8 tsp lemon juice until softened.
- 8 ounces soy tempeh, crumbled and lightly browned in olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 2/3 cup finely diced crisp apple, such as Honeycrisp
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 drops aromatic bitters (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- Scant tablespoon peach preserves
- 6 large leaves of collard, dinosaur kale, chard or green leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried
Combine all ingredients but lettuce or chard into a medium sized bowl. Stir well to thoroughly coat the tempeh, apples, cucumber and shallots.
Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into the lettuce or chard leaf and wrap up tight like a taco, burrito or wrap.