Curried Tempeh Salad Green Wraps

Curried Tempeh Salad Green Wraps

Fast and furious is how I would describe these tasty sandwich alternatives. They’re like meal sized salads on the go! I’m not generally a huge fan of tempeh, but I think it works exceptionally well in salad-y dishes such as this one.

For more tender collard or kale leaves, lightly rub each side with a mixture of 1/2 tsp olive oil plus a dash or two of salt and a 1/8 tsp lemon juice until softened.

• 8 ounces soy tempeh, crumbled and lightly browned in olive oil
  • 1 large shallot, finely minced
  • 1 cup diced English cucumber
  • 2/3 cup finely diced crisp apple, such as Honeycrisp
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 4 drops aromatic bitters (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
  • Scant tablespoon peach preserves
  • 6 large leaves of collard, dinosaur kale, chard or green leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried

Combine all ingredients but lettuce or chard into a medium sized bowl. Stir well to thoroughly coat the tempeh, apples, cucumber and shallots.

Spoon about 1/2 cup filling into the lettuce or chard leaf and wrap up tight like a taco, burrito or wrap.

23 Responses to Curried Tempeh Salad Green Wraps

1. I love, love LOVE wraps made with hearty greens! This looks fantastic, and although I share your skepticism of tempeh in most cases, this looks like the perfect vehicle for it. I can’t wait to give these a try– what a lovely warm weather lunch they’ll make!

so good to know I’m in great company with the tempeh thing. wraps are my fave go-to lunch for warm weather! this is also a great way to use up all the tempeh my husband buys on our shopping trips (he’s a big fan of the stuff) :)

2. Love this! It sounds super easy and looks awesome!

It is so easy! — also nice having a container of the salad ready to be wrapped up into a leaf anytime a craving comes on. :) even easier.

Love wraps! The combo you’ve got going on in there looks so inviting it almost makes me wish I could eat soy. Almost. Somehow I don’t miss having to give up soy at all. I’m either very twisted, very allergic or both. Personally I go for the former. :-)

:) with all the other great plants out there, i’m not at all surprised you don’t miss it. i bet it would go deliciously with pulsed chickpeas or whole lentils too!

4. Krista says:

That looks amazing! I am a big tempeh fan so this is right up my alley and on the short list of things to make after we’re back from vacation. Looks like the perfect lunch for me!

5. FoodFeud says:

Wow, peach preserves and bitters! I’ve got to try this! I love curried tempeh salads (even more fun to eat in a raw green wrap) but what interesting ingredients.

6. Mihl says:

I have tempeh marinating as I read this. I wish I had seen your post earlier, especially because I have a bottle of aromatic bitters that I never used. But I guess that wasn’t the last package of tempeh I bought:)

7. Janae Wise says:

What a great idea! I forget about how awesome collard greens are for wraps. And tempeh, I am a HUGE fan & love the stuff. Thanks for a great recipe!

8. As soon as you mentioned curry I was sold! I’ve never used collards for wraps before, only romaine, but that’s because they always seemed a little too intensely flavored to eat raw. I’ve never thought of softening the leaves up with a bit of oil, great idea! I love the flavour combo, they look so yummy!

9. YUM! I those wraps look and sound delicious! I love the blueberries on top! I bet that little sweet *pop* is just magnificent! Thanks for the recipe!

10. Love the flavors in this! crisp apples, tempeh, bitters!

11. Vegan says:

Amazing idea about the wraps. Easy to do and a very light and nutritious snack. Have you tried using Bok Choy for this one?

12. emma says:

I made these a couple of days ago (w/o the bitters) — so delicious! I love that it’s nearly a raw recipe; these are going to be a go-to meal for me over the summer. Thanks!

13. You just gave me a wonderful way to eat wraps again. I love the idea of a green leafy wrap. Being a great fan of chard., I am already thinking of all the different things I could fill this wrap with. Thanks giving me a great recipe to add to my list.

14. This sounds like a great combo. Can’t wait to try it.

15. nina says:

i love this wrap,, very easy to make..dont have look to hard for the ingredients..(anyway)….thinking of becoming a vegeterian….thanks

16. Susan says:

I had a difficult time finding gluten free tempeh. What kind did you use?

17. Nice. I never thought of combining the idea of massaging the kale (or chard) with the idea of making a wrap. Sounds like a winner. And I do love tempeh. I don’t detect the bitter edge to it that some people do, but you could always steam or marinate the tempeh first if you do. Or try a different brand.