The weather has turned cool and crisp in Philadelphia, and it has me craving some serious comfort food.
Tonight’s dinner? Pumpkin Quinoa White Bean Chili.
I really enjoy all the goodness going on in this dish. The hearty bite of quinoa adds a hint of texture and a few seasonal ingredients make it extra cozy and comforting.
Pumpkin Quinoa White Bean Chili
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 to 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Dash nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pumpkin puree (solid packed works great)
- 4 cups salted vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red quinoa
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon additional salt to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
Place the onion, garlic, and red pepper along with the olive oil and sea salt into a large stock pot and saute over medium-high heat until the peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
Add in the spices, carrot, pumpkin puree and vegetable broth and simmer over medium heat for 11 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans, coconut milk and quinoa and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until heated through and thickened slightly. Fold in the scallions and then top each individual serving with ample avocado and cilantro. Let cool about 15 minutes before serving; the chili will thicken about standing.
Makes 8 servings chili.