Today I’m excited to share with you a new book from the kitchen of one of my culinary heroes, Martha Stewart. Her latest book, Meatless, is quite unlike her typical tomes in that the entire book revolves around–as the title suggests–meat free recipes. And, even though every single recipe isn’t solely plant based, I can confidently say that most of the recipes within the pages of this beautifully illustrated book are vegan (even marked with a handy “V”), and pretty much all of the non-vegan recipes can easily be made vegan with non-dairy substitutions. There are also a ton of gluten-free recipes, also clearly labeled for your gastronomical enjoyment.
Some of you may feel underwhelmed that this book isn’t entirely plant based, but as a longtime (diehard!) fan of Martha Stewart, and with her obvious influence that has reached the homes of millions of people, I find this to be an incredibly positive step in the right direction. In fact, I’m downright giddy about it.
So, today I am featuring one of the recipes from the book as well as offering a copy of Meatless to one lucky reader. To enter, simply leave a comment below telling me what your favorite ‘meatless’ dish is, and I’ll enter you in the contest. Open until February 14th to residents everywhere… winner will be announced February 15th.
Avocado Salad with Bell Pepper and Tomatoes
(Recipe provided and reposted with permission from Clarkson/Potter Publishers)
Avocado shells make handy vessels for a bright salad made with the scooped-out flesh. Lime juice, garlic, and a pinch of cayenne flavor the dressing. The salad can also be served as a topping for quesadillas or as a fresh filling for tacos.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1 firm, ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- ½ yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
1. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, and cayenne. Season with salt.
2. Scoop out flesh from avocado halves, reserving shells, and chop. Transfer to a bowl and add bell pepper, tomatoes, scallion, and chopped cilantro.
3. Drizzle with dressing and season with salt. Gently stir to combine. Spoon mixture into reserved shells.
Garnish with whole cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
Vegan/ Gluten-free/ Soy-Free
Per serving: 424 calories, 34.63 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 31.25 g carbohydrates, 6.6 g protein, 16.36 g fiber