(Photography and Food Styling by Nicole Axworthy and Lisa Pitman)
It’s the season for giving!
I am very excited to be sharing with you a fabulous new collection of gift ideas, from the super talented duo of Lisa Pitman and Nicole Axworthy. These gals are a power team, making some of the most beautiful collections of recipes I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. And, they’re back at it with Edible Gifts: Spread the Vegan Food Love at Every Occasion. This is a gorgeous ebook filled with delectable gifts for your loved ones–gifts that they can eat! Full color photos accompany each of the 15 inspiring and delightful recipes.
I’m pleased to give you a sneak peek of this beauty by sharing the recipe for Banana Bread Biscotti. This biscotti is minimal on ingredients but packs an extra punch in the flavor department. Just like each recipe in the book, it is chock-full of wholesome, delicious, and gluten-free ingredients that will make you eager to share the love, such as :
…and many more fun and delicious ideas that will elevate your gift giving this holiday season.
Banana Bread Biscotti
(From Edible Gifts; reprinted with permission from the authors)
Our #1 way to spend an afternoon is talking over tea and cookies with someone we love. These biscotti blend the best of banana bread with an awesome, cookie-esque texture. The twice-baked method makes them firm enough to package up for picnics, afternoon café dates, or an evening gathering in your best friend’s backyard.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. 2. In a food processor, pulse the almonds into a fine flour. 3. Add the flax, banana, dates, maple syrup, baking soda, salt and vanilla extract to the food processor. Blend until a thick dough forms.
4. Add the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pulse a couple of times to distribute throughout the dough.
5. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat, form the dough into a rectangular log about 6×4 inches. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top has browned.
6. Cool until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack (about 8 to 10 minutes). Transfer to the cooling rack and continue to cool until firm enough to slice (another 10 minutes).
7. Slice crosswise into 8 biscotti slices.
8. Preheat the oven to 350F.
9. Return the cookies to the lined baking sheet, cut-side up. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. 10. Cool completely on a cooling rack. Store in an air-tight container. Makes 8 servings