roasted sugar pumpkin & collard crustless quiche

roasted sugar pumpkin & collard crustless quiche

This pumpkin quiche is a delicious start to an autumn weekend morning and a great way to take advantage of pumpkin season! It also makes an easy dinner for a chilly evening when accompanied with a large dinner salad or a piping hot bowl of soup.

Roasted Sugar Pumpkin & Collard Crustless Quiche (Oil Free, Vegan, Gluten-Free)

• 1 small sugar pumpkin (5 to 6 inches diameter), de-seeded and quartered + a touch of sea salt
  • 1  3/4 cups besan (chickpea flour)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1  1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 block (15 ounces) extra firm, well drained and pressed tofu
  • 1 cup finely chopped collard greens
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 scallions, sliced into rings
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Preheat your oven to 375 °F and place the pumpkin onto a baking pan cut side up. Sprinkle gently with sea salt and then flip over so that the flesh is facing down. Add 1/4 cup water to the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes to 55 minutes, or until the flesh of the pumpkin is tender. Let cool completely, remove skin, and cube into small pieces.

Decrease the oven temperature to 350° and lightly grease a standard sized pie pan.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the besan, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons salt and baking powder until very smooth. Crumble in the tofu and, using a spoon, stir well to combine breaking up any large chunks of tofu. Fold in the rest of the ingredients and bake in oven for 70 to 75 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.

Serve warm or cold.

18 Responses to roasted sugar pumpkin & collard crustless quiche

1. What a lovely recipe! I love that it uses pretty simple ingredients :)

2. Ann says:

Since pumpkins vary in size so much, about how many cups of cubed pumpkin did you use?

3. Jojo says:

Beautiful, I love quiche and yours sounds perfect.

4. I am a big fan of crustless quiche because I never have crust on hand but always the ingredients to make quiche. This sounds and looks absolutely marvelous!

5. ameyfm says:

wow, this sounds crazy good. It’s like a mix of tofu quiche and socca – what a cool idea. Also, I like the crustless bit. I really love the crust, but it’s basically 1,000,000 calories of pure fat and refined flour – so, you know, okay to skip sometimes!

6. FoodFeud says:

This sounds so so so great! Pumpkin and collards are a fantastic combination and I also Looove quiches and things you can eat with yr hands :)

7. chris says:

This looks so good. Is there a substitute for tofu? I am allergic to soy, dairy, eggs, gluten. Thanks!

8. Eileen says:

This quiche sounds amazing! One more excellent way to cram squash or pumpkin into every single food for the entire duration of October. :)

9. Lia says:

Yay! On my weekly meal to do I wrote: “make quiche.” I’m vegan and have yet to make a vegan version, so this was just perfectly timed! I’m really excited to try it out, it sounds soo tasty! Thanks!

10. This is beautiful! I can’t wait to try it.

11. Aimi says:

My husband and I love all of the ingredients in this recipe, yet something about the quiche was very off. Maybe the besan from the Indian grocery was old or the pumpkin was bad, I don’t know. It turned out looking great but was a big disappointment in the end.

12. Zoe says:

I made this for dinner. It was delicious and my non-vegan husband loved it. A really simple recipe too.

Thanks

13. AM says:

Would this freeze well?

hmmm… It may change the texture of the tofu a bit (more chewy/flaky), but it shouldn’t make too much of a difference. But, since I haven’t tried it, I can’t say for sure.

Wish I could be more help!

14. Jessica says:

I made this last night (well, the general idea of this; acorn squash, kale, and tarragon, no tofu) and it was fantastic. However, it only required about 40 minutes in the oven, and was on the salty side. Perhaps it was the lack of tofu? Either way, thank you for a lovely recipe, I could see this becoming a staple for me.

15. melissa says:

Can the meal be prepped and placed in the refrigerator until ready to bake?

• admin says:

Hmmmm. I’m not actually sure about that, but honestly, I don’t see why not! Since it’s crustless, the only thing that I’d be concerned about it keeping the air off of it so it doesn’t dry out–maybe cover tightly with plastic wrap and you should be good to go!
      xoxo