The simplicity of this soup is what makes it so darn delightful. The cilantro imparts a wonderful citrus flavor and pairs well with the dense sweetness of the carrots.
The carrot soup alone is extremely flavorful, so if you have an aversion to cilantro, it’s not essential to add it at the end.
But, of course, if you LOVE cilantro… then by all means, add twice the recommended amount.
Carrot Cilantro Soup ~ Vegan & Gluten Free
- 7 large (about 712 g) carrots, (about 4-5 cups sliced)
- water to cover (about 6-8 cups)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- dash or two coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro, or pureed in blender with a bit of water depending on preference (I loved the tiny pieces of leaves in mine, but the kiddos preferred it with pureed cilantro)
- Slice carrots into 3/4″ pieces, and place in large stock pot.
- Add enough water just to cover completely, and bring to boil over high heat.
- Once carrots are boiling, reduce heat to medium high and let cook (retaining a boil), while stirring occasionally.
- Cook about 20-25 minutes, or until very fork tender. You should be able to smash a carrot very easily with the fork.
- While carrots are cooking, sauté Vidalia onion, garlic, coriander and 1/4 cup water over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and allow to cook just until onions are translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook until caramelized… stirring occasionally.
- When carrots have finished cooking, drain–yet make sure to reserve water carrots were cooked in.
- Transfer cooked carrots and onion mixture into a food processor or blender.
- Add about 1 cup of reserved water. Puree until very very smooth, adding more water until desired consistency is reached. I generally use about 2 1/2 cups total.
- Soup should still be hot from the cooking water and boiled carrots, but re-heat if needed.
- Garnish with fresh chopped (or pureed) cilantro and serve immediately.
Cooking time (duration):30 mins
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4